Do you have a Strong Preference, for Polished; or As Found Fossil Specimens?

Rock Hound

There are certain types of fossils, that I like to see polished.  Petrified Wood, Ammonites, etc.

There are certain types of fossils, that I do not like to see polished.  Shark Teeth, Bones, etc.

What are your preferences; about Polished, vs As Found?

Well, you said it yourself. 

Some fossils look better polished, some look good both ways and some are better left in a natural state. 

Corals are one example of fossils that often can only be identified through polished sections, so it's nice to have some of the species in a natural state and other pieces polished. 

Some wood, archaeocyathids etc. don't show their full structure, details and beauty unless polished. 

Here in Morocco, they polish goniatites, orthoconic nautiloids and other items because they sell better to the average tourist, but I prefer these specimens to be prepped, but not polished. 

And I don't see many polished brachiopods, which is a relief. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 6

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I am with Adam, one of my favourite parts of my collection is polished  plates of corals .  Lots of fossil’s structures can be very beautifully preserved and only viewed  when CUT and then polished. 

Cut and polished plates yes but complete  fossils  that have been polished on the outside like ammonites, belemnites , meg teeth or so on is a No from me but it is of course personal taste. 

Some of my polished collection of woods, corals and then some more beauties . I will not label here because it take me all morning to write this post. 

257C99AD-8345-40D6-A31E-4FC7FBDDE6C2.jpeg

19C21514-5CC2-4427-AAC5-00E27A136F3D.jpeg

32D57831-D3A7-4536-A0A5-053D768E2893.jpeg

B4D855C7-3F2E-4117-8188-B751D72F6E50.jpeg

• Enjoyed 5

Also I would  love to add a bit of that Utah polished red coloured  dinosaur bone to my collection . I did polish up some reptile bone I found on the Yorkshire coast that turned out ok . 

Both, it really depends, as already stated. But only a flat polished surface, no contour or relief, please!

Last pic of @Bobby Rico shows some of my stuff from Austria, thanks, Bobby!

Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard
  • Thank You 1

11 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

Last pic of @Bobby Rico shows some of my stuff from Austria, thanks, Bobby!

Franz Bernhard

You’re stuff is very much treasured. 

thank you Bobby 

• Enjoyed 1

I lean towards specimens being natural. Even preferring most to be left in some amount of matrix, but… I think there are certain fossils that look better polished or that need to be polished for identification. Certain woods and corals for example.

Adam @Tidgy's Dad said it better than I could, so I’ll just say I echo his post. :D 

• Thank You 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Yes,  Identification or just beauty.... just recognizing that Beauty is in the eye of the beholder..  There is no right answer.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I created this gallery to display some of the fossils which I decided for various, mostly aesthetic reasons to cut, sand and polish. My other galleries show the ones which I've just prepped and mostly finished with Rember, a beeswax based finished. I just left the shark teeth and trace fossils as is after cleaning them with soap and water.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Here is an unprepped Ordovician plate from Ohio and one that was prepped. I think these look better with some “ shine” on them. After microblasting I spray with an acrylic.

E7C43BB1-0978-498E-BCB8-6AEF41AC1465.jpeg

7FDE2ED3-83C2-4113-BB9C-654544BF9DEA.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

Except in Poland there's no choice except Polish. :heartylaugh:

• Enjoyed 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!