Fossils & minerals on planes

Alexander D.G

Hi everyone!

I'm moving from my current country of resident, the Netherland, to Canada. Through the years I've amassed a semi-large fossil and mineral collection, and I want to take some of that collection with me to Canada. My only concern is that I might run into problem at the airport, so I wanted to ask around here if anybody had any experience with air travel with fossils/minerals in the Netherlands/Canada.

I couldn't really find any information about this from the Netherlands, and Canada just vaguely says "it may be illegal to bring cultural property into Canada, such as antiques or fossils".

Would anybody mind sharing their experiences the've had with these countries? Thanks in advance!

Though I do not have an answer for you, it is a great question and I would be worried about it. I could never bring my fossils on a plane, because of the quantity, but I would also be worried about shipping them, worried that customs would be involved and would not know how to handle them. I hear the stories on the Forum by members who are trying to send / receive a simple small package of fossils and the package being held for ever or even shipped back to the sender. Good luck on this move and hopefully someone has some good news. 

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

I know that this does not answer the bigger customs question or reflect your transatlantic voyage, but I have never had issues bringing small quantities of fossils properly wrapped in my suitcase on a flight within the US. Each time though I have been pulled aside by TSA who want to know what they are, but when I say that they are fossils, they often just laugh and close my bag.

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

I've carried small quantities which I had found on my trips to Canada quite regularly in my luggage going in the other direction and on the way to Canada I usually brought along some stuff for gifting or trade, all with no problems. Just don't take it in your carry on luggage and of course watch out for overweight unless you are willing to cover the extra costs. If asked, it of course would be helpful if you had some paperwork along with you which would prove that the pieces are your own property and in line with the export rules attaining to the country you are coming from.

• I found this Informative 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I haven’t taken large amounts or done anything transatlantic but I have regularly taken a ziploc gallon sized bag of rocks in my carry on and/or check in bag and have not had a problem. Cannot say for overseas/ large rocks/many fossils though. Maybe try to ask a local museum if they could manage shipping and packaging for you? 

• I Agree 1

Decided to side on the air of caution and email the airline to ask if they have any policies surrounding fossils. Now my fate lies in the quality of customer support :fingerscrossed:

I've never had any problems carrying fossils on a plane, why should you?  The real issue you may encounter is with Canadian customs so you might want to find out their requirements for entry