Pennsylvania’s Carboniferous Fauna

ChasingGhostsYT

I am seeking info on Pennsylvania’s Carboniferous plant fauna. The ID plates I currently have access to are ok, but lack info beyond ferns. I have been digging a coal hillside in the Llewelyn Formation, and exposed some cool pine cone and seed pod like material (attached), and I’d like to learn species name and background information.

1.Pine cone sides

2. Cone up close

3 Seed Pod

90B72C8F-C86D-430F-A7CA-A68514DCBDB9.jpeg359CF977-7FDF-4FFB-BDFB-CA6BDA2A7B4E.jpeg

F7BE4DF9-995D-4BED-9E65-00227E8C435F.png

Although the names can be old, and out of date, I think Georges Basement/Leo Lesquereux's DESCRIPTION OF THE COAL FLORA OF PENNSYLVANIA
AND OF THE CARBONIFEROUS FORMATION THROUGHOUT THE UNITED STATES
  is a pretty good reference.

LINK

I would look at Calymostachys, and Lepidostrobus.

• I found this Informative 3
  • I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

There were no pine trees in the Carboniferous. The first does look like a cone of some sort, but not a pine cone. The second is lycopsid bark.

3 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Although the names can be old, and out of date, I think Georges Basement/Leo Lesquereux's DESCRIPTION OF THE COAL FLORA OF PENNSYLVANIA
AND OF THE CARBONIFEROUS FORMATION THROUGHOUT THE UNITED STATES
  is a pretty good reference.

LINK

I would look at Calymostachys, and Lepidostrobus.

I really appreciate you dropping this resource man. I found it beyond useful, and it vastly expanded my understanding of what I’m looking at at my site. Really cool site again thank you!

• Enjoyed 1

Calamostachys according to Renier(1912):

calamotffcasgbacanada00 (2).jpg

Edited by doushantuo

10 hours ago, doushantuo said:

Calamostachys according to Renier(1912):

calamotffcasgbacanada00 (2).jpg

Thank you for the info man I appreciate it. Calamostachys definitely looks similar to what I acquired on the last trip, and to seed bearing specimens I’ve previously seen lying around the hillside

"Fauna" is the word used to describe an area's animal inhabitants. "Flora" (an area's plant inhabitants) is the word for which you are looking.

Edited by Carl
  • I Agree 2

• 1 month later...

I have been collecting at the same locations as you, and I use these references to help with identification:

20230630_080946.jpg

• I found this Informative 1