Hello! All! I am new here and ruthlessly in for identification help of any kind,  I have tried figuring out how to identify whether I have found a Tooth or not! I have previously collected amber, large gem crystals, horse and sheep teeth a bit of the old castle, iron age pottery but this 'rock/tooth' has me going round in circles. Getting a little laugh at repeated searches for information about mammal teeth and I'm just left thinking I think it is a molar tooth it is pearly a grey/blue/pale putty colours. Weighs 9.3grams if I recall and it really resembles a tooth in form shape and markings..if not it's a wee mystery I'll keep trying to figure out..it doesn't look like flint but it's comparable . Thank you so much for any help!! Thank you for your time! I have about 40 photos but not sure how many too post!! Not forty for sure!! K x xIMG_20230513_202318_157.thumb.jpg.51d4a6665230f8ed58abd17f0698ccdd.jpg

IMG_20230507_081231_860.jpg

Sorry. Devonian is before mammals evolved. I don't think this is a tooth.  

• I Agree 3

Just now, Rockwood said:

Sorry. Devonian is before mammals evolved. I don't think this is a tooth.  

I agree.  Oddly shaped rock. 

• I Agree 3

okay! thank you, i failed to say i collected it from the sea shore..i might have been mistaken putting in devonian ..if that changes any opinion..id thought id needed to put in a geological location so i went looking up maps..i picked it from the sea shore which is i believe the churned remains of doggerland ,im staring at the pentland firth looking at orkney from where i collect gems and fossils, its a dream for finding anything and everything but i thank you very much for the swift replies! thank you for a great first post experience all! k x x

It can not be a devonian mammal tooth,  however it doesn’t look like a tooth    For a tooth i want to see enamel dentin and a hollow pulp chamber  there are exceptions but  i dont think this is one

• I found this Informative 1

ah well i have a shore of metamorphic rock as far as the eye can see, this will be just yet one more piece of it.

yes ive only had 3 other teeth from this shore which were horse an sheep after identification...i had thought perhaps this is a very old tooth without a root and the sea shore had worked its cleaning and polishing on it - im afraid i dont have even a loupe...so i couldnt look at the microscopic or yes id have been able to see the 'teeth' of the enamel. so this must be a very clever flint or silicate ..probably a metamorph so ..lord knows what its exact recipe is. thank you. k x x

thank you everyone..its one for the doctor of rocks :) if it wasnt for the sheen and shape id just have said its yet another flint/chalcedony - i thought perhaps this is a tooth but no! the teeth i have found are sheep and horse, however as you all say this is not a tooth, its probably a funny flint/chalcedony...Thank you for all the help!