What is this it has snake skin on it

jay66

I can't see it in these photos, but you can try checking out the search term snake skin agate.

There are no fossil snakes in West Virginia as the geology is much older than the emergence of snakes during the Cretaceous. 

When it comes to fossilized snakes, it is more likely to encounter vertebrae as opposed to skulls, and the skin would not fossilize in either case. There is also a lack of bilateral symmetry to suggest a head of any kind, or anatomical similarity to a snake according to these photos. 

• I found this Informative 5
  • I Agree 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I'm more convinced now that it is not a snake head. This does appear to be a sedimentary rock, and in the first image in your most recent reply, there seems to be a piece of brachiopod or crinoid (the radial lines if you look closer in the encircled area here). 

IMG_20230529_054432_486.thumb.jpg.13d2a12c7fff90bbd45669d28e09a1e6.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

This rock does appear to have a piece of a fossil in it,,,, but this is still a case of pareidolia

RB

• I Agree 1

Geologic map of West Virginia

Geologic_Map_of_West_Virginia.jpg

Beckley is in Raleigh County, which has rocks of Pennsylvanian/to Permian age exposed.
A bit too old for snake fossils. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

2 hours ago, Kane said:

There are no fossil snakes in West Virginia as the geology is much older than the emergence of snakes during the Cretaceous. 

When it comes to fossilized snakes, it is more likely to encounter vertebrae as opposed to skulls, and the skin would not fossilize in either case. There is also a lack of bilateral symmetry to suggest a head of any kind, or anatomical similarity to a snake according to these photos. 

I believe there are some Pleistocene snakes from cave sites like Trout Cave.

Doesn't look like the skin of any snake I've ever seen. Also note that skin and scales are not the same thing. I think you said skin but meant scales.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!