Barton Dorset UK unknown?

Southcoaster

Had a walk along Barton beach in Dorset UK and found the normal  few shark teeth on the shoreline but any ideas if this is anything or is it just an oddly worn small piece of rock? Length around 5cm. Thank you

934AE21D-4BF5-4F77-8BE4-C0E94944CD2E.jpeg

1. Have you tried a magnet on it?

2. Do you mean Barton in Hampshire (not Burton in Dorset)?

Hi Avalonian,

Barton-on-Sea which is near Highcliffe Christchurch Dorset which is well known for shark teeth along the water line. It is definitely not metal as tried a magnet. I think it will just have to be an unidentified oddity. Added a better picture.

62C69BC4-661C-4731-919B-56F209B383CB.jpeg

2 hours ago, Southcoaster said:

It is definitely not metal as tried a magnet. I think it will just have to be an unidentified oddity. Added a better picture.

Thank you. So the reason why I asked is that I've seen fossilised wood from around Burton but never Barton, and the first picture had interesting textures although imo it looks more like slag. The second image definitely looks like slag / industrial waste. Barton is more likely to turn up slag because of where it is on the coast (although slag / wood could hypothetically turn up on either beach).  I personally like interesting slag, some people collect it, and if you're on reddit then there's a group for it: r/ItsSlag

Thank you Avalonian, that makes perfect sense. Glad that isolves the ID. I will keep it and will keep searching for that elusive fossil. Best wishes.