SE Texas - What Is This??

johnnyvaldez7.jv

Out on the river gravel banks I always pick up the unusual. I pass up clam shells regularly and we do have oyster shells nearby on the Gulf beaches south of me. I thought this was weird and out of place... so I kept it. What is it??? I doubt it came upstream to my location so it had to have been washed down from further up north.  I didn't measure it but if it needs a measurement I'll get it. 

Also, sorry for the color differences... I brought it closer to the light in the handheld images.  Found in SE Texas on a river gravel bed where I do find Pleistocene material. 

20230531_205539.jpg

20230531_205658.jpg

20230531_205703.jpg

20230531_205651.jpg

20230531_205535.jpg

20230531_205528.jpg

20230531_205601.jpg

20230531_205639.jpg

Edited by johnnyvaldez7.jv
  • Enjoyed 1

Oh OK. I didn't know what this was... I don't recall seeing this on an oyster.  Then again... too busy eating them fried cause they are delicious! Thanks.

20230531_205535.jpg

Maybe a very worn cretaceous oyster like gryphea? I sometimes find worn cretaceous shells in the pleistocene of SE Texas.

@fossilus Gryphea... also called the "Devil's Toenail."  That's interesting.  I do see how those rings could have been there and the rest is worn.

37 minutes ago, johnnyvaldez7.jv said:

Oh OK. I didn't know what this was... I don't recall seeing this on an oyster.  Then again... too busy eating them fried cause they are delicious! Thanks.

20230531_205535.jpg

Correct. Just google fossil oyster shell anatomy and you'll see enough of them.

• Thank You 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

7 hours ago, johnnyvaldez7.jv said:

too busy eating them fried cause they are delicious! 

Oysters cannot be prepared in any format that  I've yet to find  are not DE-Licious!  I personally like them fried, in gumbo, raw dipped in seafood sauce with saltine crackers and a beer chaser, Oysters Rockefeller, etc. . . .

But I digress.  I agree that this is likely a Cretaceous oyster.  However, I think it is too worn for me to determine genus.  Others may be better at this than I.

• Thank You 1