Concretion? Ammanoid? Rolled up trilobite?

Absurdly Curious

Here's another one, smashed up crazy concretion, a shell, or are those legs?

20230601_185833.jpg

20230601_185338.jpg

20230601_185347.jpg

20230601_185035.jpg

20230601_184833.jpg

20230601_185434.jpg

20230601_185606.jpg

Yeah @grandpa, definitely more gastropod than ammonite. I'm silly, ammonites are a flat roll with ridges around the outer edge. This is more of a forward roll with smoother outer surface. (And that, ladies and gentlemen, is my fossil vocabulary) :heartylaugh:

@jpc I hope so! I don't have one of those.

Part of a coiled shell covered in beekite?

• I Agree 3

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Also, if it is a fossil, not sure how much of it is matrix...

33 minutes ago, Absurdly Curious said:

definitely more gastropod than ammonite.

That said, I would not rule out Nautaloid per JPC as a possibility.  He's another fine member of the party that you will enjoy knowing. 

Can I refresh your drink?  (OK, I'll stop this fun now.  I was just so pulled in by the pathos of your introduction that I got hooked and couldn't quit.  I'm sure you feel welcome to the forum now and so I'll quit with my fun because I sense that it might soon wear thin if it hasn't already. )

• Enjoyed 1

The cross section of the aperture looks very kidney bean shaped and symmetrical to me... hence my call of nautiloid.   (5th and more photos).

Edited by jpc

This looks like a bellerophont. If your bedrock is Ordovician, Sinuites is a good candidate.

Edited by connorp
  • I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 3

TennGeoMap - Large.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hey,

Welcome to the forum! Are there any hot springs in the area? It looks so fragile. A more recent organic something covered by hot mineral saturated water? Is it called sinter? Probably out in left field if it was found in your crinoid creek. You're in the right place to get expert help, but that's not me.

Best of luck,

Mike

Hi,

to decide between gastropod and nautiloid take a close look if you see any septae (walls). Nautiloids have their shell divided into chambers, living only in the last one. Gastropods do not.

Best Regards,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

On 6/1/2023 at 7:05 PM, connorp said:

This looks like a bellerophont. If your bedrock is Ordovician, Sinuites is a good candidate.

My ID of nautiloid is based on my own knowledge of both snails and nautiloids.  I know vert little about paleozoic snails... if there are some that are so easily confused with nautiloids, then it could be one of those.