Is this ammolite?

MrBones

Hello.

I was wondering if this was ammolite.

I'm assuming that if it is, it would be from Canada.

I plan on applying paraloid to it to bring out the shine it has.

20230602_095250.thumb.jpg.93a98823df3c62a3be9183aa951c6e94.jpg20230602_095308.thumb.jpg.2d17a5a6e623dc30ff22b3d28519c458.jpg

I would agree that it superficially looks like ammolite. Perhaps if you show some views of the matrix on the sides and back of the block, then someone who is more familiar with the material than myself may be able to recognize it. If it really is ammolite, then I wouldn't just apply some kind of resin to it, but rather find someone who could give it a good polish, which would be the best way to enhance it.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

31 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

I would agree that it superficially looks like ammolite. Perhaps if you show some views of the matrix on the sides and back of the block, then someone who is more familiar with the material than myself may be able to recognize it. If it really is ammolite, then I wouldn't just apply some kind of resin to it, but rather find someone who could give it a good polish, which would be the best way to enhance it.

Here's the underside and the side profile.

How would you suggest polishing it? I know someone who does some lapidary work, maybe he can help.

20230602_104820.thumb.jpg.a90f077847de990de43617894704b764.jpg20230602_104828.thumb.jpg.ab30ad51e235ab0e8be296f88c5fdeec.jpg

1 hour ago, MrBones said:

Here's the underside and the side profile.

How would you suggest polishing it? I know someone who does some lapidary work, maybe he can help.

Like I already mentioned, I'm not familiar with the material, but when I at least do a google search it seems to fit. Yes, show it to your lapidary friend for his opinion.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/