What to do with this ammonite?

Fossilnub

I recently purchased property in North Texas that has a rock bed in the front of the house. In that bed was an ammonite. I basically know nothing about fossils, but it seemed a waste for it just to sit out there. Any advise? Should it be glued together and polished, cut in half or what?

IMG-5808.jpg

That's a huge beauty! You're right that it would've been a waste to let it sit out there exposed to the elements, it would've been destroyed. Good on you for saving it. You could glue the pieces together but I personally would NOT recommend anything destructive like cutting or polishing it, as that just amounts to ruining the fossil. Perhaps you can have it identified in the fossil ID section, and maybe contact a fossil prep service to see if there's anything they can do to improve it. Although to me it seems like there isn't a whole lot to be done, maybe a little bit of cleaning. Honestly I would be more than happy just having it and displaying it as is. Congratulations on a great find!

Edited by Mochaccino
  • I Agree 4

8 minutes ago, Mochaccino said:

I would be more than happy just having it and displaying it as is.

Very well said.

• Enjoyed 1

I agree wholeheartedly with Mochaccino as one possibility. Another would be to remove the parts I marked in the photo below, which shouldn't be very difficult, and glue them together. That way it wouldn't take up so much space.

IMG-5808.thumb.jpg.38e3c7beb3136918e957a4d3ffa22208.jpg.d28d5aea79820f0767819347394764b1.jpg

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I think it looks nice as it is. Even the rock material it sits in, suites it well.

Also that you found it by yourself adds personal value.

• I Agree 1

There's no such thing as too many teeth.

16 hours ago, Fossilnub said:

I recently purchased property in North Texas that has a rock bed in the front of the house. In that bed was an ammonite. I basically know nothing about fossils, but it seemed a waste for it just to sit out there. Any advise? Should it be glued together and polished, cut in half or what?

IMG-5808.jpg

Its definitely a nice ammonite.  The species looks like a Mortoniceras, which are very common in many place from the DFW up north to the red river.  I would probably put some glue in the break, and then display it somewhere nice outside.  The biggest enemy to it is getting wet and freezing, resulting in more cracking.  You dont have an actual body fossil of the ammonite, so cutting / polishing doesnt work on these.  Its just a limestone internal mold of the original ammonite.   

7 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

I agree wholeheartedly with Mochaccino as one possibility. Another would be to remove the parts I marked in the photo below, which shouldn't be very difficult, and glue them together. That way it wouldn't take up so much space.

IMG-5808.thumb.jpg.38e3c7beb3136918e957a4d3ffa22208.jpg.d28d5aea79820f0767819347394764b1.jpg

I'm pretty sure the finger is touching an outer whorl in this pic. It's just rough and eroded.  The horns of Mortoniceras typical become very flat at the shell gets bigger.

7 hours ago, North said:

I think it looks nice as it is. Even the rock material it sits in, suites it well.

Also that you found it by yourself adds personal value.

I think the OP meant that it was sitting in the yard of the property they purchased, not that they went fossil hunting to find it.  Could be wrong, depending on the location in north Texas, this could have been found on their land.

Edited by hadrosauridae
  • I found this Informative 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

2 hours ago, hadrosauridae said:

I'm pretty sure the finger is touching an outer whorl in this pic. It's just rough and eroded. 

It definitely is and that's why I was suggesting to take it out of the picture. It's the OP's choice of course. Depends on whether he wants aesthetics or au naturell.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

3 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Depends on whether he wants aesthetics or au naturell.

I agree.  I prefer au natural, but it is the OP's choice.  Were it me, however, I'd secure the cracks with super-glue and enjoy the specimen "as-is".

35 minutes ago, Fossilnub said:

Thanks to all that commented on this.

So, @Fossilnub you have some good suggestions.  What do you think you might do?