How do i find good spots to go fossil hunting- and how on earth do i determine if a rock has a fossil within, or IS a fossil?

75millionyearsago

Mostly the title! I live in northern New Jersey- i’m aware that NJ used to be heavily submerged, and is host to many locations where you can find marine fossils such as ammonites, trilobites, and other small marine invertebrates- however, i have no clue as to how i can effectively search for and find fossils. I’ve gone to some dried river beds, dug in the banks, layered rock, and panned- but i realize that i dont quite know what i’m looking for. How do i determine if there is a fossil within a rock? How do i find good hunting locations? What are some of the key giveaways that a rock may contain a fossil or series of fossils? And how can i identify sedimentary rocks properly, so i know i’m looking at the right types? 

This is where research will pay off -- reading some general books on fossils, but also geologic maps and scholarly articles. 

Of course, a good chunk of learning is by doing. You may wish to join a local rock/fossil club, and join in on any planned trips with their seasoned collectors. 

• I Agree 4

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

3 hours ago, Kane said:

This is where research will pay off -- reading some general books on fossils, but also geologic maps and scholarly articles. 

Good idea! Do you have any personally recommended books on fossils, that could help me identify them? 

You might try looking at some of the pinned topics in this very section. ;) 

links to a few:

• I found this Informative 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)