How Is The Walk At Purse State Park?

Seadance

We're planning a family outing in a couple of weeks and I would like to include my mother-in-law, since she introduced our sons to fossiling for sharks' teeth. If I remember correctly, the website mentions a walk of a 1/4 mile or so. Does anyone know if the walk is very strenuous?

Thanks-

Randall

We're planning a family outing in a couple of weeks and I would like to include my mother-in-law, since she introduced our sons to fossiling for sharks' teeth. If I remember correctly, the website mentions a walk of a 1/4 mile or so. Does anyone know if the walk is very strenuous?

Thanks-

Randall

The walk is an easy quarter mile dirt path through the woods until you reach the shore. A small parking lot is on the east side of the road. This time of year there are lots of biting flies so be prepared.-Gizmo

post-3033-1275105719319_thumb.png

Edited by Gizmo
  • I found this Informative 1
Phoenixflood

Thanks Gizmo! We'll lather up with Deet.

The walk is not that bad; it's a slow decline to the beach through the trees, past an old foundation of a house, and down a bit of a slope that has some beams put in for stairs.

I haven't seen the flies in person that were talked about, but I have heard that they can be very bad and arrive in HUGE swarms. :o Deet you, and the kids up well my friend, and if you don't like your mother-in-law too much, well... :P:D

• 2 years later...

There is now a parking area north up the road, marked by sign "Douglas Point"; follow hiking trail about a mile to Blue Bay, which is between Douglas Point (conglomerate rock) to the south and Liverpool Point to the north. Small shark teeth on beach there.

If you arrive without cars already in the parking lot (who have already cleared the path), take a branch with you and wave in front of you as you walk as spiders like to hang their webs across the path. They are not venomous spiders but walking into the webs is annoying.

hokiehunter

If you arrive without cars already in the parking lot (who have already cleared the path), take a branch with you and wave in front of you as you walk as spiders like to hang their webs across the path. They are not venomous spiders but walking into the webs is annoying.

I've spent quite a bit of time in the outdoors in my lifetime and had never been bitten by a spider until I went to Purse. Two separate incidents in a total of around 10 trips. Neither bite was particularly terrible as they just swelled some and itched like crazy for a few weeks but that said I wouldn't want another. That place crawls like no other I have been and if you don't like bugs then wait until December or so before going there.

• 3 years later...

I was just ther Halloween weekend we took the Douglas point "north trail head " not a bad walk just bare right when the trial splits beach is nice I explored both directions found a nice otodus tooth

• 3 weeks later...

I've spent quite a bit of time in the outdoors in my lifetime and had never been bitten by a spider until I went to Purse. Two separate incidents in a total of around 10 trips. Neither bite was particularly terrible as they just swelled some and itched like crazy for a few weeks but that said I wouldn't want another. That place crawls like no other I have been and if you don't like bugs then wait until December or so before going there.

I've collected fossils and other things in the woods and swamps and do landscaping on the side. Have never been bitten by a spider in my 62 years. How'd you manage it? just curious.

Ah Liverpool Point ! A location I know well...when you park, make sure no valuables are visible from the vehicle's windows. I have seen a car with broken glass on the ground. Local vandalism? We shall never know. For the walk to the Potomac River, it is easy. A few minutes only. Advice: know ahead the tide schedule of the day of your visit. Also, a lot of debris of fallen trees along the banks of the Park...and lots of trash from irresponsible people - no maintenance visible. I believe this park section has been abandoned long ago. Access to the banks is becoming a serious challenge....small shark teeth can been found with patience...and eagle eyes. Waves can easily grab your fossil, so be quick without hesitation. Good luck !!! Better to use a small boat to reach the accesible banks....my suggestion. Seriously.