Unknown from Mississippian of Ohio

connorp

I picked this up thinking it looked vaguely like a fish scale, but I'm not entirely sure either way. Collected from the Cuyahoga Formation (Mississippian) in northern Ohio. Any thoughts?

f1.JPG

f2.JPG

f3.JPG

• Enjoyed 1

Looks interesting! Conner, did you find other fossils in the formation? Pics?????

Mike

Very intriguing. It reminds me of the pattern on some fish scales and other bones, but that's mostly a guess. 

@jdp

Looks fishy to me.  :unsure:

• Enjoyed 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Actinopterygian skull bone fragment. nice! Keep an eye out for more complete material, it could be scientifically important.

• I found this Informative 5
  • Enjoyed 1

3 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Looks interesting! Conner, did you find other fossils in the formation? Pics?????

Mike

The site was loaded with fenestrate bryozoans and occasional brachs but that was about it. Nothing worth collecting. I know crinoids and conulariids have been found in the area but I had no luck on that front.

• Enjoyed 1