Fossilized Molar?

crikkifrogger

Hello Everybody!

I am a shark scientist with the company SharkDefense and was given a very strange fossil today...I believe it to be a fossil anyways. This potential fossil was collected in 20 fathoms of water off the coast of Massachusetts while scallop fishing. My first guess was it was a molar of some kind, but i've never worked with fossils before so i'm pretty clueless.

Any info would be appreciated. I do not have a ruler on hand at the moment, but this potential fossil is 8 in (L) x 2.5 in (W) x 7 in (H).

Thanks,

Craig

post-3346-12750839827206_thumb.jpg

post-3346-12750839964011_thumb.jpg

Hello, and Welcome to the Forum from Connecticut!!! biggrin.gif

I'm not an expert by any stretch, but it looks like a mammoth or mastodon tooth. cool.gif

See examples here:

http://www.ansp.org/...hus_gallery.php

Others more knowledgable will probably weigh in shortly! wink.gif

Pretty neat!

Congratulations, and Welcome, again.smile.gif

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

The identification of this piece as a mammoth tooth looks to be correct. On an unrelated note, what sort of work do you do over at SharkDefense? I've always had a bit of an interest in marine biology, an interest which generally focuses on sharks.

not sure if you wanted replies here due to the email address posting, but the spambots will have a field day with that address. at any rate, if the tooth wasn't soaked in progressively less salty water until it was in fresh water for quite some time and then carefully dried and consolidated with something good, then it's likely to over time crack and delaminate and generally crumble due to the salt in it.

gotta get the salt out of stuff like that

Thank you guys/gals for your help! Also, thanks for pointing out the spamming issue! I updated the forum and removed my address. In terms of the research I do, I study the various sensory systems of elasmobranchs (sharks, skates and rays) to determine which sense would be best to target for a repellent. My research is highly focused on the use of magnets and electropositive metals to repel sharks from baited hooks, as well as, beach nets. I have a 4 year project that is about to start which requires me to work with great whites!!!! I'm very excited.

Thanks again!

Sounds like pretty cool work, and I hope you have some success with that repellant.

Thank you guys/gals for your help! Also, thanks for pointing out the spamming issue! I updated the forum and removed my address. In terms of the research I do, I study the various sensory systems of elasmobranchs (sharks, skates and rays) to determine which sense would be best to target for a repellent. My research is highly focused on the use of magnets and electropositive metals to repel sharks from baited hooks, as well as, beach nets. I have a 4 year project that is about to start which requires me to work with great whites!!!! I'm very excited.

Thanks again!

Welcome from MD :) Yes, as everyone has said you have a nice mammoth tooth there :)

Glad to hear about your work. B) It's some very interesting stuff. I heard something a while back that some makos were not as repulsed by such electropostive material as some of the other sharks, is there any truth in that?

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Archived