Fake Mosasaur Jaw: Beware

TMNH

I was fooled just this last January. I was used to seeing all the 'easy' fakes and then saw these (pics here) and bought these. All fakes. Purdy good fakes if you ask me. But I was lucky enough to get one real one. I only paid $60 for these so I wasn't out a fortune.

That one would have fooled me also.

• 1 year later...
On 5/10/2016 at 10:11 AM, RJB said:

I was fooled just this last January. I was used to seeing all the 'easy' fakes and then saw these (pics here) and bought these. All fakes. Purdy good fakes if you ask me. But I was lucky enough to get one real one. I only paid $60 for these so I wasn't out a fortune.

post-171-0-22808100-1462889368_thumb.jpg

post-171-0-41686300-1462889387_thumb.jpg

Wow, what made you conclude they were frauds? 
They are very well done ones, for that matter (from this POV). And, what do you exactly mean by "one real one"? 

Sorry for the jumble of questions- I just am very curious! :headscratch:
I might buy a mosasaur jaw section of my own soon, and it would be shocking to find out that a mosasaur jaw section is fake when it is too late.
Very interesting post...

@Auspex
I'm really sorry--- I did not intend to post all of these messages!
After pressing submit more than once on the first page, I did not see my post appear, so I accidentally posted the same message multiple times.
Can you please remove them? I'm sorry- it was an accident. Glitch?

4 minutes ago, FossilSniper said:

@Auspex
I'm really sorry--- I did not intend to post all of these messages!
After pressing submit more than once on the first page, I did not see my post appear, so I accidentally posted the same message multiple times.
Can you please remove them? I'm sorry- it was an accident. Glitch?

Fixed. ;)

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

36 minutes ago, FossilSniper said:

I did not intend to post all of these messages!

Accidents happen; among friends it doesn't mean a thing. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

11 hours ago, FossilSniper said:

They are very well done ones, for that matter (from this POV). And, what do you exactly mean by "one real one"? 

I might buy a mosasaur jaw section of my own soon, and it would be shocking to find out that a mosasaur jaw section is fake when it is too late.
Very interesting post...

Most mosasaur jaws on line seem to be faked, composited or heavily restored. 

You can usually see the teeth have been added, cemented or glued in, they often don't match, the jaws are sometimes clearly made from plaster etc; etc. 

It would be a very good idea to post on the forum before you buy so that those in the know can tell you what the 'fossil' actually is. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

16 hours ago, FossilSniper said:

Very interesting post...

I'd say those both look completely real. Except that the second example isn't a Mosasaur jaw. That's either a fish or a toothed bird jaw. But there are no red flags on either of these judging from these photos.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

On the soaking in water thing. It is COMPLETELY dependent on the material you are working with. I have had long dried bones dissolve when I applied super thin PVA to try to harden it. Some bones from Calvert Cliffs you can leave in water for a week. But really, you dont have to be an expert to recognize that punky crumbly bone should NOT have water near it. I have unfortunately seen portions of a whale skull be disintegrated by soaking them in water. It was NOT a pretty site.

Wonder if I still have the pics of the result around somewhere... 

• 3 years later...

It might be best to have a new topic for these jaws. 

For the first, I don’t trust it’s real. The surface of the ‘jaw’ looks chipped and exposes a white plaster like substance. The teeth do not belong to it at all, if it is a real jaw. Just from the one photo, it makes me think it’s got a piece of jaw bone with other bones constructed into it to make it more sellable. The teeth are even from different mosasaur species :unsure:

The fragment between the two large filled in sections has a texture going a different direction than the rest of the ‘jaw.’

0D464FDC-6C5B-440B-8686-5237CE8AB249.jpeg.6930dbfe9ccc27a62146e6cfc18c827e.jpeg

The second
The answer is, it’s both. Those teeth are not associated with the original jaw, you can see the cemented sections pretty easily. There’s also a lot of ‘cement’ that’s filling in sections of the jaw that must have been missing. 

I’d personally like to see more photos of the piece, particularly up close photos, as well as of the ends of the jaw, some of the texture on it looks slightly off, but that can easily just be the photo.B9AAB4DE-6608-475F-9C7B-544A5CAC0A9D.jpeg.f87532393c63160ded22c501a6398972.jpeg

Edited by TyrannosaurusRex
  • Enjoyed 1