I Think I Found A Fossilized/crystallized Honeycomb Thing

Timmy

I found this while walking on the shores of Lake Michigan in Wisconsin. What is this?

To me it looks like some kind of wasp/bee nest that's fossilized with crystals. In the pictures you can't see this thing sparkle, but it seriously sparkles like crazy. Also, one side clearly has hexagon shapes.

I doubt if I lick it, I'll taste something sweet. I read online that fossilized honeycombs are rarer than meteorites. Is this true?

p1070482.jpg

p1070485p.jpg

p1070486.jpg

p1070487.jpg

Nice coral. Most of the coral from up that way that I have seen is a shade of gray.

Oh, just found this, the colonial coral found there is called something else.. pretty cool

here

Welcome to the forum!

The State Fossil of Michigan :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Sparkle or not it's a beaut. :wub:

“There are no easy answers' but there are simple answers. We must have the courage to do what we know is morally right.”

-Ronald Reagan

Hey guys I found this same fossil on a YouTube video

Go to 4:31 in the video.

• 3 years later...

I found this fossil 45 years ago, in a large creek bed in western up-state NY. I thought it was a fossilized honeycomb at age 8, but after seeing pics and video on this topic, I think it's probably a type of coral. So, can people give me their opinions of what this actually is. if possible age, type, or anything else you think I'd want to know about it? It weights eight pounds, measures approx. 8" long, 6.5" deep, and 5" high. Thanks all.

post-14312-0-39410800-1390589531_thumb.jpg

Yep - that sure looks like a favositid coral, too, Gaffer2. And as for the rarity of fossil honeycombs, they are MUCH rarer than meteorites! In fact, I know of a SINGLE example:

From Batu Caves, Malaysia. It is believed to be Pleistocene in age, or older, and is identified as belonging to the genus Apis, which includes all of todays honeybees. The wax structure has been replicated in calcite.

post-186-0-40840700-1390591190_thumb.jpg

Yep - that sure looks like a favositid coral, too, Gaffer2. And as for the rarity of fossil honeycombs, they are MUCH rarer than meteorites! In fact, I know of a SINGLE example:

From Batu Caves, Malaysia. It is believed to be Pleistocene in age, or older, and is identified as belonging to the genus Apis, which includes all of todays honeybees. The wax structure has been replicated in calcite.

Just a pedantic here :) Isn't this technically an ichnofossil ?

Favosite coral, known also as "Honeycomb coral", for obvious reasons. Quite common in the Paleozoic strata around the Great Lakes. Very nice!

Favosite coral, known also as "Honeycomb coral", for obvious reasons. Quite common in the Paleozoic strata around the Great Lakes. Very nice!

true. nice coral.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Archived