TMNH

Fossil Sites In Southern Ontario?

TMNH

I know of a few sites around, but does anybody know of a good site in southern Ontario, Canada?

Northern Sharks

Welcome to the forum. Where are you located, and what would you consider to be the northern limit of southern Ontario? The only sites I know of are Hungry Hollow (and vicinity) and Fort Erie. There are more sites further north if you're willing to drive

McNeer

Welcome to the forum. Where are you located, and what would you consider to be the northern limit of southern Ontario? The only sites I know of are Hungry Hollow (and vicinity) and Fort Erie. There are more sites further north if you're willing to drive

Northern Sharks, Hi. I am also interested in finding other locations for fossil hunting apart from Hungry Hollow/Arkona. I can go on about 10 hours drive one way from GTA. Would love to hear about other locations within Ontario. I can't go to US, no visa and not Canadian citizen yet.

Thanks

McNeer

TMNH

Good suggestions! I will check out hungry hollow for sure. Thanks!

Pumpkinhead

Any quarry you can find would probably be good for fossil hunting. Just make sure you have permission from its owner, if there is one.

GreatWhiteMac

I live in Windsor, ON anything close to me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Maybe fish fossils somewhere near Lake Huron or Lake Erie??

Ludwigia

I live in Windsor, ON anything close to me?

See above and then search here for hungry hollow or google it. You'll find lots of info and it's right on your doorstep.

jpc

Etobicoke Creek on the western edge of Toronto.

Magicman

The Whitby Formation has fossils in dark brown and dark gray shale that can be found on the lakefront when you go south on Courtice road from the 401.

A good day trip is to Craigleith Provincial park where you are allowed to take one of each fossil type. Since Wasaga Beach is close, you can combine the two sites, start by searching for fossils and end the day on the beach. A provincial park day pass is good at all parks in Ontario.

A lttle further east is Colburn, where fossil can be found on the waterfront. Port Hope's site has been closed off by the new MoT facilities, so catching two respectable sites is no longer viable.

I'm not sure if you are allowed to remove fossils from the Niagara Gorge but it does make a good day trip and the kids brought back some fossils from the riverfront. If you drive east past the Gorge Cablecar ride, the next parking lot is where you can park and follow the trail down to the river. This again is not a wasted trip because the falls are just down the road and Queenstone Heights (just east of there) affords a breathtaking overlook of Lake Ontario.

Edited by Magicman

Dora the Explorer

I live in the GTA so all i know are these; The DVP in Toronto,Etobicoke creek, Craigleith Provincial park, and you will find small Ordovician outcrops around the creeks that feed into the oak ridges moraine now and then, (a good creek lies just above green lane and main street in newmarket)

Krazy Rick

The Whitby Formation has fossils in dark brown and dark gray shale that can be found on the lakefront when you go south on Courtice road from the 401.

A good day trip is to Craigleith Provincial park where you are allowed to take one of each fossil type. Since Wasaga Beach is close, you can combine the two sites, start by searching for fossils and end the day on the beach. A provincial park day pass is good at all parks in Ontario.

A lttle further east is Colburn, where fossil can be found on the waterfront. Port Hope's site has been closed off by the new MoT facilities, so catching two respectable sites is no longer viable.

I'm not sure if you are allowed to remove fossils from the Niagara Gorge but it does make a good day trip and the kids brought back some fossils from the riverfront. If you drive east past the Gorge Cablecar ride, the next parking lot is where you can park and follow the trail down to the river. This again is not a wasted trip because the falls are just down the road and Queenstone Heights (just east of there) affords a breathtaking overlook of Lake Ontario.

* * I'm not sure when you were at this location ............................. I've been to Whitby / Courtice road on a couple occasions, a few months ago, not really too much there at this point , I think this area has been pretty much "tapped out", due to too much publicity, or whatever; perhaps it was decent at one time, not so much now ....... I found a few bits & pieces, but nothing worth going back; there was alot of broken rock debris there; evidence of many others trying to find stuff. - I spoke to a local, who mentioned it did have fossils awhile ago, but now, it has alot of dog walkers & wild teen parties :wacko: Rick

Edited by Auspex

Magicman

Hi Rick,

I was there last Friday and found several nice fossils including a "trilobite burial ground" (my term), it was one stone with dozens of trilobite chitinous carapace and few actual trilobites, including one that was a couple inches across. In addition, I found three nice pyritized nautiloids.

The shale breaks off deep in Lake Ontario and gets washed up to shore continuously. I check once a month and always find new samples, especially after a storm that whips up larger waves.

So don't write it off.

Smiles

Bob

Obiezyswiat

Hello all,

is there any good place for fossil hunting near Ottawa ? I live nearby and Toronto is little far for a hunting trip.

I am new to fossil hunting ! Thanks

Lukasz

Kane

Hi Lukasz,

It's been many years since I collected there, but you may want to try along the Ottawa River. They've sadly "rehabilitated" the shoreline from the locks/Parliament Building, but if you walk west, there should be a very small weedy inlet that still has some of the original brown shales, generally filled with brachiopods and the trilobite pseudogygites (and sometimes pieces of triarthrus) + the occasional graptolite, crinoid, etc. If you head east to Strathcona Park, there * may * be some tiny exposed shales there, rich black in colour. In that neighbourhood (Sandy Hill), if you're lucky to come across road construction, I used to find pyritized nautiloids in the black shale just chucked to one side.

If you follow the Ottawa River to the west to about Lincoln Fields, there are plenty of coral encrusted limestones. If you find yourself in west end Ottawa, there is/was a quarry just north of Baseline Road where I would find nearby nautiloids in the limestone. The only other place I can think of would be going south-east to Orleans where there was once an enormous shale pit - but that was about 22 years ago!

Obiezyswiat

Thank you Kane for your huge help :)

FossilDAWG

Where is "nearby"? There are many sites in the area. I used to live in Ottawa, and had a lot of luck with Ordovician fossils there, as well as Pleistocene fish around Greens Creek and Orleans. Unfortunately most of the sites I used to collect are not accessible any more. I had a great site for edrioasteroids that was buried beneath fill below the museum on Sussex, north of the mint. The quarry near Baseline was probably the Frazer-Duntile quarry; you can still see this from the Queensway between Carling and Maitland, but I was not able to get in there when I last tried several years ago. At one time you could just walk in, and it was indeed a good site for nautiloids in particular. However if you explore along the Ottawa River below Nepean Point, Parliament Hill, or around Booth Street/Victoria Island you may still have some luck. Large construction sites sometimes get deep enough to excavate in bedrock, that is the only way to get fresh material of the Billings Shale (black shale with pyritized trilobites and nautiloids) and the Carlsbad Formation (grey calcarious shale with Upper Ordovician trilobites, crinoids (mostly stems), brachiopods, bryozoans, etc). You won't be able to get into the construction sites, but if you follow the trucks you can discover where they are dumping the rock. Large construction cranes are a good indicator of such constriction sites, though they tend to go up after the hole has already been dug.

There are a lot of sites up the valley, towards Pakenham, Almonte, Arnprior, and further around Pembroke. If I know roughly where you live relative to Ottawa I may be able to offer suggestions.

Don

Pumpkinhead

There's tons of great places in southern Ontario for fossil hunting. If you scout around some maps of your area and find some quarries or things like that odds are you'll be able to find fossils in them. I would recommend looking around for some other local fossil collectors as well- maybe you could hitch a ride on one of their fossil hunting expeditions. I'll keep an eye out around the forum for other people who live in the Ottawa area. If I find some ill refer them to you.

Edited by Pumpkinhead

Mark89

Hello, I grew up in stirling Ontario and now live in Calgary. I found some beautiful petrified cedar in the old madoc gold mine. Its a bit of a walk-in and best not do it alone but its so worth it.

Sent my piece to queens university to have it looked at and they were very impressed as you could count almost all the rings and they found a preserved Beatle in the bark. I would post a picture but sadly its still in Ontario. To heavy to ship.

If you enjoy shale hunting for coral, trace fossils, tons of shells and the odd trilobite then Frankford is a great spot on Thompson Island by the hydro electric dam. Take the 401east from Toronto.

The shores of the Moria river in Belleville (also 2 hrs east of toronto ) have been great to me over the years. My father, brother and I found over 126 fossilized foot prints in the river bed. The paleontologist that accompanied us the next time pointed out that it was a herd with young as well. They removed them the following month.

Basically anywhere you go in southern Ontario you will find something. Hope this helped or you at least found this interesting.

Happy hunting!