Bone, Shell, Enamel?

ShadyW

Here's a very pretty fossil I picked up at the North Sulfur River that I just can't work out.

It's been fractured along multiple faces, leaving beautifully polished surfaces which are as reflective and smooth as flint. However, it has a rough, porous texture at one end, and those pores appear to extend down into the polished/shiny bulk of the sample.

The color is a very nice caramel, and not at all what I'm used to from NSR fossils.

My first guess was that it was a thick chunk of tooth enamel, but I don't think enamel has pores like bone. If it's bone, I'm wondering whether it's either from a different era or a different zone, producing a completely different mineralization to "normal" NSR material.

Any ideas?

post-166-1208189029_thumb.jpg

post-166-1208189021_thumb.jpg

Every complex scientific problem has an elegant and simple solution... and it is wrong.

• 2 months later...
Here's a very pretty fossil I picked up at the North Sulfur River that I just can't work out.

It's been fractured along multiple faces, leaving beautifully polished surfaces which are as reflective and smooth as flint. However, it has a rough, porous texture at one end, and those pores appear to extend down into the polished/shiny bulk of the sample.

The color is a very nice caramel, and not at all what I'm used to from NSR fossils.

My first guess was that it was a thick chunk of tooth enamel, but I don't think enamel has pores like bone. If it's bone, I'm wondering whether it's either from a different era or a different zone, producing a completely different mineralization to "normal" NSR material.

Any ideas?

post-166-1208189029_thumb.jpg

post-166-1208189021_thumb.jpg

It looks very much to the Cretaceous silificated fossil sponge I find in my region.Are there sea fossils there?

Shady, I also agree with the petrified palm wood. I've found pieces at different places around Texas that have different mineralization characteristics.

post-420-1213755257_thumb.jpg post-420-1213755318_thumb.jpg

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ