Hilton Head Fossil Sites?

Shamalama

As I'm talking with my folks this weekend they mention that they won a weekend (in April of 2011) at a condo in Hilton Head, SC in some benefit auction. They have invited me down but I'm not a beach guy. I'll spend a hour or two combing the beach for shells and such but other than that I have no interest in lying in the sun.

Instead what I'd like to do is go fossil hunting in the rivers or coastal areas around there and would appreciate any suggestions. It would be great to meet and greet some of the folks from this forum down there too, although it's a ways off and I might cheese some of you off before then. :P

If it's an hour or two away that's fine as I don't mind driving to get to the good stuff. :)

Thanks for the help!

Dave

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

As I'm talking with my folks this weekend they mention that they won a weekend (in April of 2011) at a condo in Hilton Head, SC in some benefit auction. They have invited me down but I'm not a beach guy. I'll spend a hour or two combing the beach for shells and such but other than that I have no interest in lying in the sun.

Instead what I'd like to do is go fossil hunting in the rivers or coastal areas around there and would appreciate any suggestions. It would be great to meet and greet some of the folks from this forum down there too, although it's a ways off and I might cheese some of you off before then. :P

If it's an hour or two away that's fine as I don't mind driving to get to the good stuff. :)

Thanks for the help!

Dave

Hi Dave, good idea, good luck!

Thanks for the help!

Dave

Dave,

One of my friends takes his wife to Hilton Head every year and he found shark teeth on the beach last year or the one before. He sent me a nice Carcharias taurus with some orange-brown color to it. Not knowing the formation, who knows the age (could be Miocene or older; could be Pliocene or younger).

Jess

Dave,

One of my friends takes his wife to Hilton Head every year and he found shark teeth on the beach last year or the one before. He sent me a nice Carcharias taurus with some orange-brown color to it. Not knowing the formation, who knows the age (could be Miocene or older; could be Pliocene or younger).

Jess

Yes, some really nice fossil shark teeth can be found on the Hilton Head beaches. However, they are "few and far between" and it takes some serious looking to find the teeth usually hiding in the shell hash. The majority of the teeth seem to sand shark teeth and the condition of these teeth is usually quite good.

Although I've never taken the time to hunt the area, I've heard teeth can be found off-island on the water's edge of Pinckney Island. The rivers in the area, e.g., May River have produced many quality meg teeth but I've never heard about such teeth found any way but by diving.

Thanks for the suggestions. ^_^ I know it's a ways off yet but it's helpful to know ahead of time what the area collecting is like.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/