Fossils in San Antonio

Uncle Siphuncle

Since Tropical Storm Erin dumped 10 inches of rain in South TX late this week I scrapped my coastal fishing plans and did a little fossiling instead.  The body count:  1 shark tooth, 10-12 crabs, 2 good ammonites, 150-200 echinoids of 5 species, lots of nice gastropods, all from the Corsicana formation (Upper K, 67 MYA).  From there I did some scouting for Upper K exposures along the San Antonio River and didn't find any, but I did blunder into a small, abandoned gravel pit where I found a nice caramel colored Pleistocene horse lower molar.  I'm pretty happy with the day's take home pay.  If Hurricane Dean sucker punches South TX I may end up doing a repeat trip next weekend.  Any other tales from the field out there from this weekend?

• I found this Informative 1

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

A

No pics yet.  Many of the echinoids are covered in marl and need prep to bring out their full glory.  Did you get the report I emailed you last month?

Grüße,

I kick out a similar report monthly and have for the last 3 years.  However I'm a bit too strapped for time to fool with a website too.  I try to allocate as close to 100% of my non family discretionary time to collecting as possible.

Grüße,

• 12 years later...

@Uncle Siphuncle

Its been 13 years, got them pics yet? :D

Mods - don’t worry, resurrecting this one thread as it’s the oldest in this section :)

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

19 hours ago, Ash said:

@Uncle Siphuncle

Its been 13 years, got them pics yet? :D

Mods - don’t worry, resurrecting this one thread as it’s the oldest in this section :)

You know what they say" Pics, or it didnt happen!";)

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I wish I could roll back the collecting clock to the halcyon days of yore!

Grüße,

I remember this post.  Dang it, that means I have been loitering here for at least 13 years.  I know a few of us have been here that long.  

2 hours ago, jpc said:

I remember this post.  Dang it, that means I have been loitering here for at least 13 years.  I know a few of us have been here that long.  

I remember that day specifically.  After cleaning everything and counting, I had 228 echinoids and 22 crabs.  It was a 5 gallon bucket full of prep work. I prep fossils on lunch hours at work, and all the rain knocked out power at our building multiple days for hours at a time, so I was able to scrub the hours away on all those echinoids while computers were down and everyone else was idle.

Grüße,

Ah memories. Those are the true treasures to collect ;)

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."