Economical Micro-Abrasion Set-Up

West4me

I found some trilobites the other day and I needed to clean them up and I didn't have the equipment or a friend that could help. So I decided to see if I could make something myself for little cost.

I think I was successful so I thought I would share.

Supplies:

2-part epoxy

Silicone caulking

foam weather stripping

80-grit screen sandpaper

3" PVC pipe cap

Two sink inserts

Long rubber gloves for cleaning

Piece of rubber, I used one made for opening jars

Medium sized clear bin with a clip on lid

This is where I cut holes in the side for my hands. I put the rubber gloves through the sink inserts. The inserts had a bottom and I had to cut them out. I used silicone to seal for air leaks.post-3106-007773000 1277847960_thumb.jpg

In this picture you can see where I used weather stripping to seal the lid. post-3106-062152600 1277847961_thumb.jpg

This side is where the air hose comes out. It is not air tight but leaking is minimal. post-3106-053668800 1277847958_thumb.jpg

Here you can see the glove in use. If you look at the bottom you can see where I cut a hole in the bottom where the blast media can be drained. I used the sandpaper screen to filter out the larger particles. post-3106-027042300 1277847963_thumb.jpg

This is the bottom where I attached the PVC cap. This catches used media. I drilled a hole in the center and just used duct tape to cover it. The hole allows me to drain the abrasive. post-3106-069632000 1277847964_thumb.jpg

A couple observations:

Make sure the bottom and top of the bin are flat. Mine are not and I had to do a lot of sanding on the bottom so I could mount the PVC cap. The top of mine is also not flat and I think it makes it harder to see.

You do not have to put the cap on the bottom, you could just pour it out and strain it.

I use the box on my lap, I get the best control and view this way.

For the abrasion gun I found two models. The first I tried was made by Badger, it had a glass jar that was screwed on from the bottom, I tried this and didn't like it. Tilting it made it so no abrasive would come out. The tip was also to wide for really close up work. It was also $54.

The one I am using now is made by Central Pneumatic. It is top fed and is much more consistent. The nozzle is also much smaller and really cleans away material. The only problem I have (Big Problem) is the size of the cup. It holds very little abrasive and makes refilling a pain. However the gun was $20 at Harbor Freight.

post-3106-034628700 1277847966_thumb.jpg

Hope that helps someone else, if you have ideas for improvement please share.

The only other cost is the compressor, I just pack up my portable blasting cabinet and drive to my dads to use his :)

post-3106-088923700 1277847956_thumb.jpg

"You have to listen. It is under the rocks."

West4me,

Thanks for sharing! Way cool!!! B)

Great Idea!!!:D

Any way for you to mod the cup, so that it will hold more material?

How do you like the results you're getting on your fossils?

Also, how often do you have to stop to clear your vision from the dust? ( Does the cabinet get too dusty to see through?)

Does the air have to vent out somewhere?

Thanks for sharing this idea. I will look into putting one together for myself in the not too distant future.:)

Thanks again!

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I haven't figured out how to modify the cup----yet :)

I have been able to see just fine, I think since it isn't perfectly air tight helps with that. If I get some dust on the lid I just reach up with the glove and wipe it off.

Here is a before and after, well during. I'm still working on it.

Before: post-0-009106700 1277852004_thumb.jpg

After: post-0-007931300 1277852006_thumb.jpg

"You have to listen. It is under the rocks."

I haven't figured out how to modify the cup----yet :)

I have been able to see just fine, I think since it isn't perfectly air tight helps with that. If I get some dust on the lid I just reach up with the glove and wipe it off.

Here is a before and after, well during. I'm still working on it.

Before: post-0-009106700 1277852004_thumb.jpg

After: post-0-007931300 1277852006_thumb.jpg

Thanks to share :))

more info about your trilobite, please :)))))))))))))

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

Nice set-up, West4me. What powder are oyui using. It looks like oyu may be using something too hard... it seems to beblasting away someof the trilobite as well as the rock. Just my 2 cents..

Top job on the cabinet

I dont know how to modify the gravity guns but with the suction ones (bottom fed like the badger model) all you have to do is attach some thin rubber tubing, like what you use for a fishtank, to the suction pipe and tape the other end to the inside of a larger jar sitting inside your cabinet. Make sure the bottom of the pipe is about half an inch from the bottom of the jar otherwise it wont work. Then just fill up the jar and start blasting. Make sure you only use as much tube as you need as the longer it is the less abraisive it will be able to draw up.

The other thing you could do to your cabinet is to attach an extractor so you dont have to keep waiting for the dust to settle. A cheep vaccum cleaner would do the job. Just drill a hole in the side and cut down one of the hoover attachments which you can glue into it. That way you can disconect the hoover pipe easily from the cabinet when you are moving it around. If you are right handed attach the hoover to the top left hand corner of the right hand side, that way you will never be shooting the abraisive directly into the suction pipe.

Sean

Rock kickers of the world unite

Nice job Here on the air eraser.

I have one also,which is more for modeling but as I have never used it yet might give it a try.

Nice idea and have you tried baking soda?

Might be less abrasive and the vac is a great idea a cheap maybe pawn shop one or a walmart 1/2 hp will do the trick do not need to suck the sides in. ;)

Jeff

• 9 years later...
On 2010-06-30 at 2:15 AM, seanm said:

Top job on the cabinet

I dont know how to modify the gravity guns but with the suction ones (bottom fed like the badger model) all you have to do is attach some thin rubber tubing, like what you use for a fishtank, to the suction pipe and tape the other end to the inside of a larger jar sitting inside your cabinet. Make sure the bottom of the pipe is about half an inch from the bottom of the jar otherwise it wont work. Then just fill up the jar and start blasting. Make sure you only use as much tube as you need as the longer it is the less abraisive it will be able to draw up.

The other thing you could do to your cabinet is to attach an extractor so you dont have to keep waiting for the dust to settle. A cheep vaccum cleaner would do the job. Just drill a hole in the side and cut down one of the hoover attachments which you can glue into it. That way you can disconect the hoover pipe easily from the cabinet when you are moving it around. If you are right handed attach the hoover to the top left hand corner of the right hand side, that way you will never be shooting the abraisive directly into the suction pipe.

Sean

@amour 25 can you provide a drawing or pic of you Badger mod? I don't quite follow but it sounds intriguing.