Favorite Museum

Scylla

I know I've already piped up on this one, but I will agree with the Paris Museum... it is a wonderful old school museum. If you're ever there... don't miss it. Lots of skeletons (modern) and lots of fossils, including the original Meuse River Mosasaur form Holland that you see drawings of in many historical accounts of paleontology. Huge halls full of stuff...

There's even a paleocene mammal skull there. How many museum have paleocene mammal skulls.

Edited by jpc

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

While i've mostly only been to natural history related museums in Australia (exception of 1, in south korea) i think the Royal Tyrell Museum in Canada looks the best. Of the ones i've been to, it's a tie between the Australian Museum in sydney and the National Dinosaur Museum in canberra. The Age Of Fishes museum in canowindra isn't bad either.

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

While i've mostly only been to natural history related museums in Australia (exception of 1, in south korea) i think the Royal Tyrell Museum in Canada looks the best. Of the ones i've been to, it's a tie between the Australian Museum in sydney and the National Dinosaur Museum in canberra. The Age Of Fishes museum in canowindra isn't bad either.

I've never been to the Tyrell myself, but yes, it does look very cool. My fav museum has to be the American Museum of Natural History---we have a whole seperate thread on it!

What a wonderful menagerie! Who would believe that such as register lay buried in the strata? To open the leaves, to unroll the papyrus, has been an intensely interesting though difficult work, having all the excitement and marvelous development of a romance. And yet the volume is only partly read. Many a new page I fancy will yet be opened. -- Edward Hitchcock, 1858

Formerly known on the forum as Crimsonraptor

@Diplotomodon on Twitter

Haven't been to any of the big East Coast US museumes but for my money the Page museum(LaBrea Tar Pits) has to be one of the best. For the price of entry, less than 10.00, you can spend the whole day and not make it all the way through. Another is the Mammoth Site in Hot Springs SD. A massive covered Death Trap for Mammoths that have all been left in situ. Its a must see if your in the area.

post-5072-0-50624100-1301491003_thumb.jpg

The Dave Douglass Collection is maintained as a natural history museum in Evanston Illinois. A real treat of Paleozoic treasures including some of the finest rare North American trilobites and a collection of Mazon Creek specimens rivaled only by TFF's very own RCFossils. Dave personally collected many of the thousand or so fossils displayed and has a few of his best featured in Riccardo Levi-Setti's classic book Trilobites. There is something for everyone, amber, dinosaurs, fish, plants and everything in between. The best part is you can purchase a few goodies upstairs where there are also world-class minerals galore. Those are just a few of the highlights to be found at Dave's Down to Earth Rock Shop.

LINK

Within the last decade the Field Museum got their act together and launched the permanent exhibit Evolving Planet that showcases the scores of beautiful fossils hidden away for years in dusty collection vaults. For those that have been there you can attest to how spectacularly the fossils compliment Sue the T.rex who faithfully stands guard over them just outside the exhibit hall. Anyone familiar with the bad old days (BS = Before Sue :P ) of visiting FMNH will certainly remember the anguish of only a few trilobite scraps or nearly complete absence of the Green River collection from public view. Those lucky enough to know better could at least vanquish the awful feeling of despair with a quick 20 minute jaunt north up Lake Shore Drive to finish the day on a high note at a REAL fossil museum.

Happily I can report that FMNH is finally a wonderful complimentary note. If you are planning a visit to Chicago you absolutely MUST include the Dave Douglass mecca of fossils as well. To this day Dave's fossils continue to rival the finest institutional and private collections the world over and will remain always as my all-time favorite museum. It is one the most diverse and amazing assemblages of fossils anywhere.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

The Peabody at Yale University in New Haven because the images drift through the cobwebs of my subconscious. There was a giant sea Turtle, all my siblings could ride on its back with room for cousins. The turtle was missing a flipper, or in this case , the bones where the flipper would have been and now healed. I believe that it was left rear but not positive.

I imagined the confrontation that took the flipper, but left the rest.

I always liked the NY Museum of Natural History. That had so much good stuff, floors and floors that I could never see it all. My favorites there were the scenes behind glass of modern and extinct animals in woodlands, and tundra, and swamps, and deserts. It has a huge collection of dinosaur bones, and everything else, but my thoughts would always drift back to first experiences with the sea turtle missing a flipper.

My link

... The Yale Peabody Museum’s specimen Archelon ischyros Wieland 1896 (YPM 3000) in the Great Hall was the first specimen — and is still one of the largest and most complete — of this species of ancient turtle ever found. This photograph of George R. Wieland standing beside the Archelon skeleton (mount finished in 1907) in the old Peabody Museum building was taken on November 3, 1914.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I took this photo at Yale a week or so ago. It is in the Turtle display. They have a little write up saying the flipper was possibly bitten off by a shark.

(I sent this picture to Chuck Bonner, and he replied back something like "They asked me for teeth a few years ago. Glad to see my name got put with them.")

post-40-0-67236400-1301525520_thumb.jpg

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

I took this photo at Yale a week or so ago. It is in the Turtle display. They have a little write up saying the flipper was possibly bitten off by a shark.

(I sent this picture to Chuck Bonner, and he replied back something like "They asked me for teeth a few years ago. Glad to see my name got put with them.")

Thanks for the photo -- It somehow feels good that we can go back in time, whether it is 50 years to Peabody or 84 million back to Kansas...

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Wow do I have a long list of places I now want to visit! Unfortunately most of my vacations are spent hunting for my own fossils! But I have still been to a few. The Smithsonian was great, I have been there a few times. Quite a lot to see, although its usually crowded. Ive been to the NYC Museum of Natural History, that was ok. But, I'm surprised that it hasnt been mentioned already, especially for all of you east coast shark tooth hunters. But, with an ever growing facility, an ever growing number of displays, one of the friendliest staff's of any establishment I have ever had the pleasure of meeting, and fun for the whole family, Im going to say that the Aurora Fossil Museum is my favorite museum. Who hasnt enjoyed a fossil festival they attended? Who hasnt put a face to the handle of someone who's posts youve been reading for years and be able to chat like old friends. And who hasnt skipped up to the freshly dumped spoil piles as giddy as a school girl to act like a kid and play around in the giant fossiliferous sandboxes! It may be small, it definitely is a lot more localized then a lot of other museums, but still, a day trip to the Aurora Fossil Museum is never a wasted day!

That being said, I think I need a permanent vacation to see all these museums everyones talking about!

This is a great thread! "Tips hat to the starter" :goodjob:

On a side note, for someone who doesnt ever use the smiley faces... WOW. Where do people find/come up with these LOL!

DO, or do not. There is no try.

This is a great thread! "Tips hat to the starter" :goodjob:

On a side note, for someone who doesnt ever use the smiley faces... WOW. Where do people find/come up with these LOL!

:rolleyes::DB) Thanks!:):blush: :jig: :lol: :thumbsu: :Bananasaur: laughing%20on%20the%20floor%2024.gif:rofl:

I don't know a lot of museum, but last week I went to the Stuttgart Museum (Deutschland), and I can tell : WAOW !!! Wonderfull museum, the Germanish Trias particularry is perfectly represented !

entite

I am biased and I like the ROM ( Royal Ontario Museum). This is my local museum and I fully support it. I know some of the folks there and I am always gratful to them for taking the time to help id a lot of material. This has lead to collaboration with them... and I hope it continues as I really enjoyed this multidimensional hobby and the access to top notch knowledge base increased expodentially.... hence I am willing the entire collection to this paticular institution.... the ROM.

PL

I am biased and I like the ROM ( Royal Ontario Museum). This is my local museum and I fully support it. I know some of the folks there and I am always gratful to them for taking the time to help id a lot of material. This has lead to collaboration with them... and I hope it continues as I really enjoyed this multidimensional hobby and the access to top notch knowledge base increased expodentially.... hence I am willing the entire collection to this paticular institution.... the ROM.

PL

I went to the ROM once before. Don't remember much but I've heard that they renovated and is now even more awesome B)

What a wonderful menagerie! Who would believe that such as register lay buried in the strata? To open the leaves, to unroll the papyrus, has been an intensely interesting though difficult work, having all the excitement and marvelous development of a romance. And yet the volume is only partly read. Many a new page I fancy will yet be opened. -- Edward Hitchcock, 1858

Formerly known on the forum as Crimsonraptor

@Diplotomodon on Twitter

i everyone

i was in Thailand one year ago ( my wife come from ) and a ammazing Muséum opened this doors

some month before we arrived .

Very Modern , i like his style , free entrance , for us and kids ( not same in france ...grrr 6 or 7 Euros per tickets )

he was build in north eastern part of Thailand in the City of MAHASARAKHAM ( Kalasin Province )

University of Mahasarakam is verry good for futur Paleontologist !

enjoyed !

post-5401-0-66320000-1301812823_thumb.jpg

post-5401-0-67358000-1301812872_thumb.jpg

post-5401-0-32552900-1301812924_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

i have been 2 all the dinosaur museums here on eastcoast my 1 number one is NYC Museum of Natural History number 2 is Carnegie Museum of Natural History number 3 is Smithsonian number 4 is North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences number 5 is Peabody Museum number 6 is Harvard Museum of Natural History and number 7 is Academy of Natural Sciences and my self have made friends with some of the paleontologist who work thier

I am very fond of the Sam Noble Museum at the University of Oklahoma. They have done a very good job putting a lot of great fossils together, both from Oklahoma and elsewhere. I am especially fond of the vertebrate fossils there. They have a neat elevator ride up to the skull level of a very large dinosaur. Their Native American section is also impressive.

• 1 year later...

PL

Having just visited the ROM for the first time, I have to say it is a first class place. I especially want to commend the new exhibit they have put together on the dinosaurs of Gondwana. The exhibit has done an excellent job of combining multimedia, computers, and good old fashioned displays. I asked them if it was going to go on tour but they said they haven't decided yet. I hope they do send it around so more people can see it. Can it fit in my garage? :zzzzscratchchin:

At my work they have a few dinosaurs on display, including a cast of a Majungasaurus in situ. Well one day the cast was gone! It had been in the lobby for months if not a year, but now there is a different cast with color coded bones in its place! Guess what I found at the ROM, yup that cast was on display along with a bunch of other Malagassy dinos (well a crocodilian too) that I get to see almost every day. Small world. Anyway, I don't often get to see Hererasaurus, Eoraptor, Giganotosaurus, Cryolophosaurus, Spinosaurus and even a bunch of non-dino creatures. The Giganoto was mounted opposite a T rex so you could compare and contrast, nice touch. I especially appreciate how careful they were to indicate when I was seeing a cast and when I was seeing the real fossil. And of course I met a fellow fossil collector working in the gift shop. The web site

The rest of the Museum was definately worth a trip as well, but time was short so I just kinda sprinted through the Greek, Roman, Etruscan and other displays. :shake head:

• 2 weeks later...

PL

Yes the people at the ROM are very helpful! They always take the time to id anything I bring them or send back detailed emails. They are the reason I discovered this hobby, so I wouldn't be here on the forum if not for the patience and enthusiasm they showed over the years. The ROM is the best! B)

• I found this Informative 1

• 7 years later...