Largest Megalodon Tooth Ever Found ?

tmann

hey.. so i have always wondered how big the biggest meg tooth that has been found is. i have heard before that there was one of 8in found at the calvert cliffs but can't seem to be able to back up the information. ive hear of the 7 1/8 size tooth as well..

does any one have a better idea of the topic?

regards,

-tmann

I've heard of that as well, but until I see it, I won't believe it.

The largest one I've seen was about 7 inches long root to tip, but that's as big as I've seen.

7 1/8" (7.102 actually) is apparently the largest unrestored length megalodon tooth, but there is no source of records to confirm this

http://megalodonteeth.com/7inchmeg.html

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Megmawl, a shark tooth website had a 7.56 in tooth restored for sale. They said it was the second largest with the largest being 7.62 in and restored.

It's a fairly hard question actually. If you only count unrestored length, then it's a little over 7 1/8". However, there are a lot of teeth that have repaired out to longer than that, and many of them genuinely so. However, some teeth, like the one mentioned, are just putty and optimism.

Megmawl, a shark tooth website had a 7.56 in tooth restored for sale. They said it was the second largest with the largest being 7.62 in and restored.

Whatever happened to megmawl anyway? site has been down for a few years, they used to have a lot of good information.

"There is no difference between Zen and Purgatory and Time Warner Cable, and they are trying to tach me this, but I am a dim impatient pupil."

----- xonenine

When you're talking max size and you see the word "restored" it usually means "stretched". The largest unrestored tooth that I have personally seen was just over 7 1/8 inches.

When you're talking max size and you see the word "restored" it usually means "stretched". The largest unrestored tooth that I have personally seen was just over 7 1/8 inches.

Root sizes vary so much between teeth that it's impossible to really determine the size of a broken tooth. Consequently, there's a lot of cynicism about teeth that have been tips or root corners.

The really cool thing about an unrestored 7+" tooth is that Bill (megateeth) will show it to us on the Forum when he finds it later this year... :D

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I was going to mention this one. Mark Havenstein brought it to Tucson this year and last year, I believe. It's the largest tooth I have seen and haven't questioned.

Another candidate for "biggest one ever" is a tooth around 7 1/4" that the Black Hills guys brought back from Peru. I believe it was on display in their museum back in the early-mid 90's. Does anyone have a photo or further info on that one?

I was going to mention this one. Mark Havenstein brought it to Tucson this year and last year, I believe. It's the largest tooth I have seen and haven't questioned.

Another candidate for "biggest one ever" is a tooth around 7 1/4" that the Black Hills guys brought back from Peru. I believe it was on display in their museum back in the early-mid 90's. Does anyone have a photo or further info on that one?

I've heard of a couple of 7" from Peru, but would be suspicious of anything from there.

On 7/6/2010 at 5:15 PM, tmann said:

hey.. so i have always wondered how big the biggest meg tooth that has been found is. i have heard before that there was one of 8in found at the calvert cliffs but can't seem to be able to back up the information. ive hear of the 7 1/8 size tooth as well..

does any one have a better idea of the topic?

regards,

-tmann

Buddy who runs the store at Breezy Point Marina claims to know someone that found a tooth "between 8 and 9 inches".This might be the root of the story you've heard. Many collectors go in and out there and it's been told again and again. It lacks any supporting evidence sorta like any good fish story.I'm guessing it's probably between 5 and 6 inches which is still very large for Calvert Cliffs but much smaller than this joke meg.

post-3033-047754300 1278490498_thumb.png

Joke Meg.png

Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 12.12.00 AM.png

Here is the video of Mark Renz speaking with Dr. Gordon Hubbell about the largest meg tooth. This tooth was found by Vito Bertucci and is owned by Dr. Hubbell.

I think it is 7 & 3/8th inches. I am going to get to see it in person later this month. I am fortunate enough to be taking a trip to Dr. Hubbell's museum with my fossil club.

• I found this Informative 2

DinoDigger and Earthdog, you are both right.

For what I know two teeth share the record: the one Mark Renz spoked about, 7,25 inches found by Vito Bertucci and the Peru' one found by Pete Lason, also 7,25.

Here Pete Larson showing his original megatooth for Fossili Veraci:

post-1112-015070100 1278517570_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fossili Veraci

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

Whatever happened to megmawl anyway? site has been down for a few years, they used to have a lot of good information.

I don't know... it suddenly disappeared. They are in raleigh, nc, my hometown. here's what may still be their contact 919-306-6192

I don't know... it suddenly disappeared. They are in raleigh, nc, my hometown. here's what may still be their contact 919-306-6192

I really miss that site. He had a crazy twisted and deformed unrestored 7+" tooth. It looked like it had been melted with a blowtorch and stretched (I tried it , it does not work ;) ). It was one of my favorites. I saw Mark's 7" as linked above and Henry's 7-1/8" tooth that he would bring to shows. Those are the largest I have seen in person.

I will say that have met at least a dozen people that were walking through fields or dredge spoils and found a perfect 8"-9" tooth. Unfortunately they all gave them away or misplaced them.

Edited by megateeth

Guest N.AL.hunter

"I will say that have met at least a dozen people that were walking through fields or dredge spoils and found a perfect 8"-9" tooth."

Must be the same spoil piles where I found my 4" hemi!! Should have kept that thing.

Hey Nando that photo is great. Do you have any closeup shots of that tooth?

It looks awesome. I saw the pic of the replica on that website but it doesn't convey the true colors.

Thanks for sharing

ps- any idea how wide that tooth is? I have one that's over 5.5 inch wide and I'm curious what the max width is (non-deformed)

:) The largest un-restored that I know of and personally got to see and hold came from S.C. at one of our fossil shows and was part of the mans personal collection along with 30 pathological specimens larger than any in my collection.I had a rash on my chest for months from all the drooling. :D

Bear-dog.

Here is the video of Mark Renz speaking with Dr. Gordon Hubbell about the largest meg tooth. This tooth was found by Vito Bertucci and is owned by Dr. Hubbell.

I think it is 7 & 3/8th inches. I am going to get to see it in person later this month. I am fortunate enough to be taking a trip to Dr. Hubbell's museum with my fossil club.

You will enjoy Dr. Hubbell's collection I have seen it a few times and it is jaw dropping every time. B)B)B):)

post-23-068833600 1278620005_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

It's my bone!!!

A guy at a flea market in Hawaii claimed he had a 7 in+ tooth he found in chile. He also had a few 6 1/2 inchers he showed me.