Largest Megalodon Tooth Ever Found ?

tmann

Hey Nando that photo is great. Do you have any closeup shots of that tooth?

It looks awesome. I saw the pic of the replica on that website but it doesn't convey the true colors.

Thanks for sharing

ps- any idea how wide that tooth is? I have one that's over 5.5 inch wide and I'm curious what the max width is (non-deformed)

yes, I have more detailed pics, but not with me in my laptop. Give me some days and I will post them :P

Edited by Fossili Veraci

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

I would take a close look at those teeth and check for enhancements.

Second, it was a poor choice of words to use "trolling." Was the shark passively waiting for its prey? The seller might have meant to say "patrolling" or thought it was close enough. I can spot bad writing when other people are doing it.

Third, Vito was still making jewelry for customers around the time of his passing. He got kicked out of at least one hotel at Tucson for melting/forming gold in his room. I saw one of his pieces - a gold octopus with its tentacles holding a fossil great white tooth. He did great work. He had great fish stories of varying levels of believability like the time a sea turtle really started to "like" him. He was featured in a Nat Geo kids magazine and he gave me a copy.

• 2 weeks later...

DinoDigger and Earthdog, you are both right.

For what I know two teeth share the record: the one Mark Renz spoked about, 7,25 inches found by Vito Bertucci and the Peru' one found by Pete Lason, also 7,25.

Here Pete Larson showing his original megatooth for Fossili Veraci:

The largest tooth was found not to long ago by a group from the University of Kansas in Peru. The tooth measures 22.5 centimeters which is 8.85 inches!!!

Edited by meg123

The largest tooth was found not to long ago by a group from the University of Kansas in Peru. The tooth measures 22.5 centimeters which is 8.85 inches!!!

Any pics ? For reading everything I can on Meg, I have heard nothing about any tooth larger than Dr. Hubbell's. I'm calling it bologna until I see a paper, link, or pic for proof. I will admit if any such tooth did exist, Peru would probably be where it was found.

I would think such a find would make national news. Like others, I'm incredibly skeptical until such time that photos are presented with a description of the tooth by some recognized authority (Paleoichthyologist). Such stories have been going around for decades with no legitimate candidate yet to claim the crown.

PS. And it's such a huge size increase from the now recognized largest teeth of up to perhaps the 7.25" range - pushing a size increase of nearly 1.75"

Edited by fossilselachian

:abe: I saw one when I was a kid in Jacksonville FL that was stated to have measured 7 3/4"

However I was in 3rd grade and that was 30+ years ago so I can't say for sure.

Either way it was bigger than my dad's hand from tip to gum.

It was found when a 5th grade girl tripped on it while running at the beach!

So I've always suspected that the length was measured down the side, but either way it is the largest meg I've ever seen.

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Was that a research report? The teeth don't get that big. Even the largest fragments ever found measure out to be about the size of the largest teeth known (Dr. Hubbell's and Black Hills').

I'm not aware of KU sending paleo teams to Peru. However, their entomology program goes all over the place (I met a group in northern Mexico during the early 90's), including Peru. Other members on the forum might be able to confirm that.

I would like to add, calling the report bologna, I didn't mean it as an attack against you Meg123, I am just saying I think you may have received inaccurate information. I hope I'm proven wrong, because that would be very exciting news.

Thanks for the photo! I'm always amazed with Peruvian fossils. Each one seems unique in color pallette and many have translucent properties, like a work or art. Almost otherworldly.

I'd love to go on an expedition there someday, even if I couldn't bring anything home.

I would like to add, calling the report bologna, I didn't mean it as an attack against you Meg123, I am just saying I think you may have received inaccurate information. I hope I'm proven wrong, because that would be very exciting news.

I totally know what you mean. I dont totally believe this report either and im trying to find more info out about it.

Any pics ? For reading everything I can on Meg, I have heard nothing about any tooth larger than Dr. Hubbell's. I'm calling it bologna until I see a paper, link, or pic for proof. I will admit if any such tooth did exist, Peru would probably be where it was found.

No pics but im trying to contact the University of Kansas because they were the ones who found it. But i am also very on edge on wether or not this is true

Megmawl, a shark tooth website had a 7.56 in tooth restored for sale. They said it was the second largest with the largest being 7.62 in and restored.

All of Meg Mawls teeth were "composites" meaning they were fake! He basically took several different broken teeth and stuck them together with putty! The 7.62" meg tooth is in vito bertucci's giant reconstruction jaw. By looking at many pictures of the jaw the 7.62" tooth seems to be the the first upper anterior on the right side of the jaw. This tooth and the rest of the 7" teeth in that jaw are all restored but if they were full teeth would have definitely been world record sizes!!!!

All of Meg Mawls teeth were "composites" meaning they were fake! He basically took several different broken teeth and stuck them together with putty! The 7.62" meg tooth is in vito bertucci's giant reconstruction jaw. By looking at many pictures of the jaw the 7.62" tooth seems to be the the first upper anterior on the right side of the jaw. This tooth and the rest of the 7" teeth in that jaw are all restored but if they were full teeth would have definitely been world record sizes!!!!

*all were composites exept his deformed one

• 4 weeks later...

here the photo. Not so impressive... sorry for this :(

Hey, thanks very much for the picture of the peruvian giant. I have stumbled upon pictures of the replica for at least 100x. This is the first time I have seen the original tooth. I always wanted to see it but thought there were no pictures in circulation!

Can you send me a picture of higher resolution that I could use as desktop background?

:-)

• 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...

"For what I know two teeth share the record: the one Mark Renz spoked about, 7,25 inches found by Vito Bertucci and the Peru' one found by Pete Larson, also 7,25."

I would like to display both of these teeth at "Greater Ancestors World Museum" i can obtain a replica of the Larson Tooth, a Bertucci replica is not so easy to come by.

Does anyone know how i might be able to acquire a replica of the Bertucci tooth?

• 7 months later...

Well, as I hinted on in another thread, this chilean tooth may be one the largest in term of width. Whtever it is a pathological or not is somewhat unclear but the owner of megalodonsharkteeth.com, having examined the specimen, says it is not a pathological, simply a large upper anterior broken in half. I imagine the two parts have been twisted by time which gives the impression that the tooth is not broken but anormal.

The slant height is 6,02 inches but the width is 6,75 inches. The owner said in its original state, it may have been still over 6 inches wide.

Liking envision the size of the shark owning this tooth, using Gottfried methodology based on slant measurement, this tooth may have from a conservative 50-52 feet shark.

However, as the many sharks experts suggest the width is more revelant than the height among lamniforms for estimate de size of the jaws and the overall body length, using Jeremiah methodology, this tooth could have come from a shark not less than 70 feet long.

post-10181-0-79437800-1350309180_thumb.jpg

post-10181-0-48773300-1350309206_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

• 7 months later...

Does anyone have informations about that one ? I heard it was partialy restored.

img0136hhv.jpg

Edited by Gabe

It appears to have been elevated above the ruler for the picture. Compare the sharpness of focus between the edge of the tooth and the ruler.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Frankly I don't see that, the shadow of the tooth on the ruler does not indicate an elevation of the object to me ?

Lighting angle can be controlled to achieve that effect. enlarge the photo (Ctrl +) to see the focal disparity.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

I see it too (command+ for Mac) - lower edge of the ruler blurry. That specimen also looks too clean. It should look more beat-up than that if natural - probably restored to some degree.

Lighting angle can be controlled to achieve that effect. enlarge the photo (Ctrl +) to see the focal disparity.

Really, the tooth seems to be simply placed on the ruler to me, the shadow beneath the tooth sounds really natural. But yeah, I had heard that this one was slightly restored.

I suspect if it is not the 193 mm Bertucci specimen that lies in the giant jaws recreations.

Were this not a hoax, the tooth would be right at 8 inches.

What is the provenance of the photograph?