Largest Megalodon Tooth Ever Found ?

tmann

That's the shame, I don't remember at all, I had took it from a friend discussing of megalodon on a forum but this forum has lost the original source. I will check my buddy but I suspect it comes from the MegMawl.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember I saw this one a few months ago ...

No comment ...

post-5102-0-95292100-1372107416_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

There is this one from 1975's Scharp book :

ckrl.jpg

Also, in the Discovery mockumentary about meg, I've got that screenshot of what seems to be a newspaper :

hybs.png

...Also, in the Discovery mockumentary about meg, I've got that screenshot of what seems to be a newspaper :

hybs.png

Given the source, and the absolute lack of corroborating evidence, I view this as pure fantasy.

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I'd like to know since there are true 7 inch teeth out there how big did it get? i know the formulas say 2 different things one way means like 55 feet the other closer to 70 which is correct?

Edited by cfin1974

Megs have been found in the Rappahannock River but the late Doug Donald told me they come out of the Yorktown Formation (Early Pliocene).

Jess

Given the source, and the absolute lack of corroborating evidence, I view this as pure fantasy.

There's no way to know for sure. The best indicator of size is that vertebral column found in Belgium in the 1800's but even that was incomplete. Unfortunately, megalodon's closest relative is considered to be Parotodus but it died out in the Late Pliocene as well.

I'd like to know since there are true 7 inch teeth out there how big did it get? i know the formulas say 2 different things one way means like 55 feet the other closer to 70 which is correct?

The best method (or least worst) is not tooth height but tooth width, since tooth width indicates directly jaw perimeter and tha jaw perimeter in lamniforms sharks is directly liked to the body length.

That's approximative but the best attempt of measurement at now. I know that Parotodus benedeni was estimated in size by this method. Only, since we're not sure of the exact spacement and structure in megalodon jaws thiere is no way to be sure. But Mike Siversson, based on measurements on several lamnids species, estimates a maximum size approaching 20 m.

This method is going to be published very soon in a paper about Cardabiodon at Acta Paleontologica Polonica, but about Cardabiodon.

There's no way to know for sure. The best indicator of size is that vertebral column found in Belgium in the 1800's but even that was incomplete. Unfortunately, megalodon's closest relative is considered to be Parotodus but it died out in the Late Pliocene as well.

There were 20 associated centras found in Denmark in 1983 where the largest was 230 mm in diameter. However I can claim that much more stuff like this is known from somewhere in South America and just wait to be studied...

Megs have been found in the Rappahannock River but the late Doug Donald told me they come out of the Yorktown Formation (Early Pliocene).

Jess

I refer to the source of the information (the Discovery mockumentary), not of the purported fossil ;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

• 2 months later...

The photo doesn't look legit.

The originating website is well-known as being...fanciful.

The photo doesn't look legit.

The originating website is well-known as being...fanciful.

It's not only photoshopped, but it's a mako tooth. That seadragon guy came here for a bit didn't he?

It's not only photoshopped, but it's a mako tooth. That seadragon guy came here for a bit didn't he?

A very short time. ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Chas,

My comment was actually aimed at the reported age in the article, teeth not being Pleistocene (13,000 years old) but Early Pliocene and therefore not supporting any claims of an "Ice Age meg."

Jess

I refer to the source of the information (the Discovery mockumentary), not of the purported fossil ;)

Edited by siteseer

• 4 months later...

A pic on google of a very large tooth found by a scuba diver. It seems huge :

140225062943187253.jpg

Based one the bill size, I've measured a slant lenght (both slants are pretty much the same)of 183.1 mm, a perpendicular heigth of 175.5 mm, a crown height of 136.2 mm and a maximum width of 141.3 mm.

And given the shape, I don't think this is the largest tooth available in a meg dentition, possibly being an Upper Anterior 3.

The "seadragon guy" is not someone I'd like knowing my home address, that's for sure.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

• 1 year later...

There are photos of a 7.48" monster from Peru at the link below. It doesn't appear to be a composite or have restoration that would have enhanced the length of it. It's in a private collection in Peru according to the person who took the photos, measurements and casted it. After researching the topic a bit, and talking to a number of people, it's the largest one I can verify.

https://www.megalodonswag.com/what-is-the-largest-megalodon-tooth-ever-found/

That's not the best photo evidence for the largest tooth documented. If the tooth is set even just a little higher than the ruler, you get an optical illusion of a larger tooth. Multiple views would have been better. If you put calipers on it, it would be more convincing.

It would be interesting to get the observations of several people like Dr. Gordon Hubbell or other scientists along with a mix of dealers and collectors to see what is said.

There are photos of a 7.48" monster from Peru at the link below. It doesn't appear to be a composite or have restoration that would have enhanced the length of it. It's in a private collection in Peru according to the person who took the photos, measurements and casted it. After researching the topic a bit, and talking to a number of people, it's the largest one I can verify.

https://www.megalodonswag.com/what-is-the-largest-megalodon-tooth-ever-found/

• I found this Informative 1

The best method (or least worst) is not tooth height but tooth width, since tooth width indicates directly jaw perimeter and tha jaw perimeter in lamniforms sharks is directly liked to the body length.

That's approximative but the best attempt of measurement at now. I know that Parotodus benedeni was estimated in size by this method. Only, since we're not sure of the exact spacement and structure in megalodon jaws thiere is no way to be sure. But Mike Siversson, based on measurements on several lamnids species, estimates a maximum size approaching 20 m.

This method is going to be published very soon in a paper about Cardabiodon at Acta Paleontologica Polonica, but about Cardabiodon.

I've got a tooth 4" wide at the widest point... (5.3" along longest edge)... how big a meg might this be from?

That's not the best photo evidence for the largest tooth documented. If the tooth is set even just a little higher than the ruler, you get an optical illusion of a larger tooth. Multiple views would have been better. If you put calipers on it, it would be more convincing.

It would be interesting to get the observations of several people like Dr. Gordon Hubbell or other scientists along with a mix of dealers and collectors to see what is said.

Agreed; calipers are a good tool. :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ