Can Anyone Identify This Tooth?

Tibbs

Hello,

I am not very educated on fossils. Yesterday I was walking a creek bottom looking for arrowheads and ran across this large tooth. I have no idea what its from or how old it could be. It is very heavy and stone like so I am sure its a fossilized tooth. I have attacpost-3630-092080500 1278979618_thumb.jpgpost-3630-075395400 1278979665_thumb.jpgpost-3630-003190900 1278979692_thumb.jpgpost-3630-000159700 1278979734_thumb.jpghed pics

Hello Tibbs, and Welcome to the Forum! :)

I'm no expert on Mammals, but it may be from a bison .

You may want to search the forum for those, or do a google image search.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php/gallery/image/6960-bison-tooth/

I'm sure the experts will weigh in on this soon!

Great Find, ... and thanks for sharing!

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

That looks like a lower tooth from a horse. B)B)B):)

Welcome to the forum. :D

Well, at least I had the horse part right . :rolleyes:

Edited by worthy 55

It's my bone!!!

Can anyone tell me how old a tooth has to be to become a fossile? This may sound like a stupid question but quite honestly I do not know. Can a horse tooth from say 1910 become a fossile by 2010? Or does it take thousands of years?

There are a bunch of answers, all valid in their own way.

Heavy mineralization does not, in and of itself, a fossil make. Some folks think something has to be 10,000 years old (a fairly arbitrary age, denoting "prehistoric") before something can rightly be called a "fossil" (younger than that and they refer to it as a "sub-fossil"). Others want it to be from an extinct species to qualify.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I've found plenty of horse teeth over the years. I'd bet a trip to lee creek that it's a horse. Bison , actually all bovine teeth are distinctly different from horses. It's all about the grooves. Once you know the difference, you'll never ask again

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how old a tooth has to be to become a fossile? This may sound like a stupid question but quite honestly I do not know. Can a horse tooth from say 1910 become a fossile by 2010? Or does it take thousands of years?

This question was already approached, and it seems that the Americans and French have not the same idea on the border between fossils and more recent objects.

In France, we consider that all the objects dating period before the arrival of the human are fossilized. If an object is dated before the appearance of the man, we speak about no more fossils, but of prehistory.

For example, if a tooth of bear was found in a fancient cave, with rests of human bones, it will not be fossilized, it will "be prehistoric".

In France, we can collect fossils, but the prehistoric objects are protected. We have no right to collect them. It is thus important for us to know the age of our samples! If we collect prehistoric objects, we can have big fines.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg