Sea Shell...ancient Or Just Badly Worn?

LocalHero

I found this shell while beach combing on a beach that is near a spoil site for Charleston harbor. It's a good beach to find fossilized shark's teeth, Meglodon and others. It's certainly not a usual shell for this area and another beach comber felt it is ancient. I came across this forum while searching for an answer and thought someone here might know.

I'll take more pictures if necessary once my camera batts re-charge.

Thanks,

John

post-3647-044895000 1279077313_thumb.jpg

I found this shell while beach combing on a beach that is near a spoil site for Charleston harbor. It's a good beach to find fossilized shark's teeth, Meglodon and others. It's certainly not a usual shell for this area and another beach comber felt it is ancient. I came across this forum while searching for an answer and thought someone here might know.

I'll take more pictures if necessary once my camera batts re-charge.

Thanks,

John

Hi, John, and welcome to this forum!

I think that a pic of the other side of the shell will help to id it.

But it looks cryspy and practically intact, so I think that this muricid is a recent specimen.

Here are a few more quick pics I snapped this AM. Outside of positive shell ID, how does one tell the age or if a shell is fossilized? In fact, do shells fossilize? I've tried to look up how long it takes for something to fossilize and I gather it's still an open question.

post-3647-041775200 1279106710_thumb.jpg

post-3647-086352800 1279106720_thumb.jpg

post-3647-031190200 1279106727_thumb.jpg

The depositional environment determines whether a shell mineralizes or retains its original material. If it is not found in situ (within the original matrix), identifying it as an extinct species is the only way to know its age.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The depositional environment determines whether a shell mineralizes or retains its original material. If it is not found in situ (within the original matrix), identifying it as an extinct species is the only way to know its age.

It was just washed up on the beach so while it's an unusual shell for this area, it's probably just that and nothing more.

Thanks for the help,

John

My guess is actual or possibly Pleistocene Chicoreus? (Muricid is the family for sure; this Chicoreus is my guess).

Sometimes, fossil shells retain their original shelly material (and even the color!), and other times, only the internal mold is found.

Even there are sometimes that the shell is in a state of preservation, that is difficult to say if it is original shell, or mineral stuff...

Miocene stuff from France:

post-62-053884800 1279133929_thumb.jpg

Jurassic stuff from France aswell:

post-62-024464300 1279133965_thumb.jpg

It looks rather tropical (Florida?)...but I`m not an expert of your invert fauna...

It looks Florida-ish to me too but I'm not sure why. I've posted a question about it on a sea-shell forum as well. Maybe someone there will have the knowledge to have the answer. I've never seen anything like it around here before.

The area I beach comb was used as a spoil site for dredging the Charleston harbor til at least the early 70's so things that wash around on that beach are dated from 2mil+ years ago (megalodon teeth) to only a few decades ago. That makes it considerably harder to date things.

Take a red hot pin or paper clip and place it on a unoticable part of it and if it melts through its not a fossil. I dont know if it works or not i just read it some where.

-Frozen

Take a red hot pin or paper clip and place it on a unoticable part of it and if it melts through its not a fossil. I dont know if it works or not i just read it some where.

-Frozen

That's a test to see whether something is made of resin or body filler (ie: fake trilobites). It won't reveal whether a shell is fossil or not.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I would suggest that it is a modern specimen of Hexaplex fulvescens image here:

http://www.jaxshells.org/hfulvescens.htm

It is possibly a fossil, H. fulvescens has been knocking about since the Pliocene, not sure it dates back to the Miocene!

Hope this is of some help.

That looks almost exactly like it. No reason to think it's fossilized afaict.

Thanks!

John