Ptychodus Occidentalis

Tony Eaton

Hi Tony ,

thanks for the documents ; I have the book "the collector's guide to

FOSSIL SHARKS AND RAYS from the Cretaceous of Texas " 1993 ;)

Got ahold of Shawn and here are some morphologies of P.atcoensis for your viewing pleasure.

He explained to me that he would very much like to put together a pictorial guide to the Ptychodus species of Tx,but due to time constraints has not done so.

I think we need someone who is photoshop savvy to arrange this type of display and I'm definitely not the one.

That's a nice Martini Mr.Knight

post-417-050044800 1279742577_thumb.jpg

Well it turns out that a couple of weeks ago I had collected an Atcoensis and lumped it in as a Mortoni.Here is my first Atcoensis and Shawn mentioned that is is pretty large to boot.Now I have six different species of Ptychodus that I have collected.Woo-Hoo

post-417-094338200 1279745818_thumb.jpg

Another change of events.It turns out that I misidentified my Anonymus.It's an Occidentalis,shees I'm terrible at ID'ng my own material.Here is my new occidentalis..post-417-077038300 1279747314_thumb.jpg

post-417-040360600 1279745786_thumb.jpg

post-417-060510100 1279745804_thumb.jpg

post-417-052849200 1279747296_thumb.jpg

Edited by CreekCrawler

Regarding the Welton and Farrish book, I remember ~8 years ago when it was out of print. I think I asked Roger personally if he had a copy for sale and I put a bid >$100 on some website with no takers. Now it is available for the bargain of $25! http://www.texassharks.org/

I am not even 100% sure what Ptychodus teeth I have to be honest. I think I have some mortoni somewhere. I need to organize :-)

I misidentified two teeth I've posted in this thread at other times on the forum.

Edited by Tony Eaton

Well it turns out that a couple of weeks ago I had collected an Atcoensis and lumped it in as a Mortoni.Here is my first Atcoensis and Shawn mentioned that is is pretty large to boot.Now I have six different species of Ptychodus that I have collected.Woo-Hoo

post-417-094338200 1279745818_thumb.jpg

Another change of events.It turns out that I misidentified my Anonymus.It's an Occidentalis,shees I'm terrible at ID'ng my own material.Here is my new occidentalis..post-417-077038300 1279747314_thumb.jpg

I told you that wasn't a Mortoni! it didn't have the right shape to it. You never listen to me. ;):P

• I found this Informative 1

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

I told you that wasn't a Mortoni! it didn't have the right shape to it. You never listen to me. ;):P

Men aren't supposed to listen to women.They are for the Kitchen....... :D:D

Where is my meatloaf and mashed taters pleez.... :P:P:blush:

Hi Kevin, I would say you have an Atcoensis right there.Could you also get a picture of this one by itself.The ridges look a little different to me.

thanks

B

post-417-089669400 1279806029_thumb.jpg

Edited by CreekCrawler

Sure, will put that on my list to do; I will see if I can get it done this weekend. I'll have to hunt through my big old pile of teeth, but I am sure I can find it again.

Amateur Nature Photographer / Fossil Hunter

www.naturesstage.com

Kevin Knight

Men aren't supposed to listen to women.They are for the Kitchen....... :D:D

Where is my meatloaf and mashed taters pleez.... :P:P:blush:

I'm gonna mash your brain next time I see you!! :cigar: Oh, and I still told you so. :D

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Thanks, it a pain to set up the lighting and tripod for a greater depth of field, but it looks better :D

Amateur Nature Photographer / Fossil Hunter

www.naturesstage.com

Kevin Knight

• 1 month later...

I'm new to the forum but would like to share some pix of Ptychodus teeth I found in N.E.Texas. The P. Mortoni were a small group that I found over a 3 month period in a small creek in S. Lamar County before I moved to Florida. When I return for a visit this is always one of my first stops. The P. Mortini/Connellyi was a N. Sulphur River find.

Tom

post-3940-011490000 1282932261_thumb.jpg

post-3940-061500500 1282932276_thumb.jpg

post-3940-064024900 1282932288_thumb.jpg

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Those are great teeth... a group of rare teeth and one extraordinary rare tooth!

I have a least a hundred Ptychodus teeth but none from these species ;-)

I'm new to the forum but would like to share some pix of Ptychodus teeth I found in N.E.Texas. The P. Mortoni were a small group that I found over a 3 month period in a small creek in S. Lamar County before I moved to Florida. When I return for a visit this is always one of my first stops. The P. Mortini/Connellyi was a N. Sulphur River find.

Tom

I find my huge ptychodus Mortoni in a S Lamar county creek as well. Wonder if we visit the same creek! :D

Alfred North Whithead

I find my huge ptychodus Mortoni in a S Lamar county creek as well. Wonder if we visit the same creek! :D

Could very well be, from your posts you do have to get your fossil fix, it's addictive you know. The fossils in this creek are amazing, found a nautiloid just smaller than a soccerball with some smaller ones and several different Placenticeras species--Tom

post-3940-057096900 1283087465_thumb.jpg

post-3940-003969100 1283087557_thumb.jpg

"Don't Tread On Me"

;)

Alfred North Whithead

;)

I, to say the least, am still finding my way around the web site and ran across your gallery, your Ptychodus look to be coming from the same creek and have always wondered if they are from one large individual. The creek is to small and the teeth are pretty rare to be washing out from multipul sharks. You have a pretty nice collection--Tom.

"Don't Tread On Me"

• 5 years later...

What a great specimen. ohmy.gif

ohmy.gif

How big is?

Thanks

Nando

Nando:That is a 0.11 oz super glue squeeze tube in background. I believe they normally run 0.5 inches wide. So, the tooth must be about 12 to 15 mm. I have one that is 15mm from upper Kef or basal Atco in Austin, TX. Not in quite as good a shape as Tony's.

post-18207-0-41963800-1464962598_thumb.png

post-18207-0-63967400-1464962655_thumb.jpg

post-18207-0-88172500-1464962678_thumb.png

• 1 month later...

Nice picture. It's interesting to see how P. occidentalis has more bifurcation and fewer transverse ridges with your "young" tooth. I've noticed that with the P. occidentalis that I've found from the Kamp Ranch Fm. but not to the same extent. I guess the curated P. occidentalis stop at the mid Turonian but you have found one younger.

Tony: My wife found to tooth in a creek boulder that may have washed significantly downstream from Kef flaggy member outcrops. After my post, I communicated with Shawn Hamm. He thinks it had to have come from the Kef flaggy member that is lower in section. I just didn't see any exposed near the spot we found the fossil. I can't find the original limestone boulder now. His 2008 thesis figure suggests P. occidentalis terminates as you said. So, I have no proof of Atco origination.

• 5 months later...

Tony: I found a middle Eagle Ford lower Bouldin Flags outcrop about 1/4 mile upstream from the place my wife found the 15 mm width Ptychodus Occidentalis. So, no change in extinction age.  I found multiple other P. Occidentalis in other areas down here in Travis County.  Shawn Hamm says that he has observed multiple private collections. He now believes that P. Occidentalis may not necessarily bifurcate in the marginal area.  Instead, the "ridges (can) extend completely to and curve anteriorly without bifurcation".  Here are a three possible example teeth in 10 to 15mm tooth width range he viewed and photo only confirmed.  

20161222_172152.jpg

20161220_113336.jpg

20161220_111151.jpg

• 3 years later...

How exciting to see all these Ptychotus spp in Texas. Having just finally found my first in POC last weekend, I may try for some more in other parts around here (Dallas-FTW-Plano region). Can’t wait to get home & id mine! Uh oh, do I have Ptychotitis now too??!! (Yep!)

(Sorry about the poor pic, still learning that skill!) BTW, that “biggun” on the right was my very first Ptychotus find — spotted it in the water while walking back up to the bridge at POC ... darn near tripped over it! lol) 

Good luck & happy hunting!  - CATB  (Midwest Mudlark)

CF01B1ED-DF29-44BE-906E-313AAE3D3690.jpeg