Does Anyone Know What This Is

belle

I found this stange rock when my husband and I were tearing down a small rock wall. Does anyone know what it is.post-3663-035856900 1279306720_thumb.jpg

It's a colony of fossilized coral.I'm sure some other members on here can ID the exact species for you.

Thanks guys. I am not a fossil collector but this was just so unusual, I knew it had to be something. I sent the picture to one of the schools and they thought it was crinoid but that the picture was not clear enough to tell. I searched for crinoid fossils and online and couldn't find any like mine.

Possibly a rugose coral colony.

I wish we knew the formation from whence the rock came, so we could narrow down the possibilities.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Possibly a rugose coral colony.

I wish we knew the formation from whence the rock came, so we could narrow down the possibilities.

I live in Northwest GA. The rock was in a small rock wall. I live on a mountain and there are lots of rocks in my yard naturally so the rock could very well have been taken from my yard to make the wall years ago.

Edited by belle

Guest N.AL.hunter

I always call those fossil corals by the number of sides each polyp has. Usually they are a pentacoral or a hexacoral. Don't know their real taxonomic name. In Jackson County Alabama, I have seen them over 4 ft wide!!

...tearing down a small rock wall...

Nice find.

Must be cool having so much fossil material around that one can include it while building a rock wall :)

scale in avatar is millimeters

Come visit Sandi, the 'Fossil Journey Cruiser'

WIPS (the Western Interior Paleontological Society - http://www.westernpaleo.org)

"Being genetically cursed with an almost inhuman sense of curiosity and wonder, I'm hard-wired to investigate even the most unlikely, uninteresting (to others anyway) and irrelevant details; often asking hypothetical questions from many angles in an attempt to understand something more thoroughly."

-- Mr. Edonihce

Yes it is a colony coral named Lithostrotion and they are found from the upper Tuscumbia Limestone unit in the Middle Mississippian Period. They are common from this unit all across the USA.