Cretaceous Fossil Needs Id

kolleamm

These fossils are believed to be Marine Cretaceous fossils, I found them today in Southern California, Im guessing their marine algae leaves or something ,what do you think?

post-3427-027493000 1279498865_thumb.jpg

Maybe Taxodium (cypress et al), which is known from the Jurassic on.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hmmm! I will say Glyptostrobus sp.( according to Mesozoic fossils part 2.The Cretaceous period, by Bruce L. Stinchcomb) rather than Taxodium. Take a look to this pics, and compare:

Fossil Glyptostrobus sp.:

post-62-072963300 1279520844_thumb.jpg

Actual Taxodium:

post-62-005492600 1279521026_thumb.jpg

Neat branches! Definitely looks conifer to me.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Neat branches! Definitely looks conifer to me.

Actually I think the first one is red algae and the second one is green algae, it really matches the picture.

post-3427-079336400 1279558011_thumb.png

It sort of looks like Parataxodium sp. ?? from the upper cretaceous

Actually I think the first one is red algae and the second one is green algae, it really matches the picture.

The "leaves" on the red algae are opposite; on your fossil they are alternate.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

The "leaves" on the red algae are opposite; on your fossil they are alternate.

the leaves on the red algae near the top actually appear to be opposite

Ah, OK, I was looking at the other one.

Still, the top one seems to have been rather stiff and stick-like; it looks like it was originally one piece that broke and the two pieces settled at an acute angle to each other. :unsure:

Ah, OK, I was looking at the other one.

Still, the top one seems to have been rather stiff and stick-like; it looks like it was originally one piece that broke and the two pieces settled at an acute angle to each other. :unsure:

hmm interesting,, i gotta go find something better hahaha

Better? Dude, it's a Cretaceous plant, which I happen to think is pretty cool!

hmm interesting,, i gotta go find something better hahaha

Do you thing that is a nuisance? Well, in my collection, there is no Mesozoic plant material...Only paleozoic and caenozoic are easy to find by me!

If you don`t want it, just send it to me! Hahahahha! :D;)

Do you thing that is a nuisance? Well, in my collection, there is no Mesozoic plant material...Only paleozoic and caenozoic are easy to find by me!

If you don`t want it, just send it to me! Hahahahha! :D;)

now my plants sound rare, i think il keep em :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

I'm no expert but it might be Metasequoia, which I have seen in the Paleocene and Cret of Wyoming. Can oyu find oyurself a copy of "Fossil Plants of Western North America" by .... dang I forget who wrote it. try your ocal library, or online.

Common Fossli Plants of Western North America / William D. Tidwell

isbn 1-56098-758-8

Fossil Plants / Paul kenrick & Paul Davis

isbn 1-58-834156-9

Identification Guide to the Fossil Plants of the Horseshoe Canyon formation of Drumheller, Alberta

Kevin R Aulenback isbn978-1-55238-247-9

Paleocene Flora of the Rocky Mountains and the great Plains

Geologigal Survey professional Paper 375

Archived