Tooth? Denticle? Alien Nose Ring?

saki007

From Mississippian limestone, Chesterian series, Bangor Formation. It's black & very hard. The points are not sharp, but are well articulated. The matrix in the center is limestone.

post-3335-077855600 1279845257_thumb.jpg post-3335-090560800 1279845281_thumb.jpg post-3335-002692800 1279845311_thumb.jpg

Hey Saki007, That is pretty neat!

Looks like a tiny ammonite/cephalopod/gastropod?

One of the above? Dunno, but I'll look a bit deeper in my research material.

NAL hunter may know.

Thanks for showing us! I like it!

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Guest N.AL.hunter

I can't quite make it out from the pics. My first thought was a crinoid cup, very bottom of one, but then I doubt myself since I can't see the other side where the stalk might have attached. So I have no idea.

Hey Saki007, That is pretty neat!

Looks like a tiny ammonite/cephalopod/gastropod?

One of the above? Dunno, but I'll look a bit deeper in my research material.

NAL hunter may know.

Thanks for showing us! I like it!

Regards,

Thanks, Tim!

I can't quite make it out from the pics. My first thought was a crinoid cup, very bottom of one, but then I doubt myself since I can't see the other side where the stalk might have attached. So I have no idea.

I apologize for the pictures- this thing is tiny! Both sides look like picture #2 in my first post. It reminds of a question mark- or Sonic the Hedgehog. I used Adobe Illustrator to give you a better idea of what I have.

post-3335-089390000 1279895175_thumb.jpg

Edited by saki007

It looks like it might be an ammonoid?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest N.AL.hunter

Wow, you did great with that picture. It is some sort of ammonite, but I don't know what type. When you are at UAH's Library, look for the "Treatise on Invertebrate Paleontology". UAH has most of the volumes and probably has the one IDing your find. If you have never looked at this series of books, be prepared to stay a while.

Thanks so much for the help, Auspex & N.AL.hunter. I will get to UAH ASAP. It never penetrated my thick skull to look in The Salmon Library for some reason. Thanks again, N.AL.hunter!

Thanks so much for the help, Auspex & N.AL.hunter. I will get to UAH ASAP. It never penetrated my thick skull to look in The Salmon Library for some reason. Thanks again, N.AL.hunter!

By all means check out the ammonite volumes, but I'd also consider the possibility of some sort of bellerophontid snail or a monoplacophoran. Maybe a sort of Mississippian version of the Ordovician Cyrtolites.

Don