Scott's Valley Fossil Trip

jsw

oh wow. I love that plate. I lived in Monterey for year...too bad I wasnt in to Fossiling like I am now. I was so close!!!

• 11 months later...

LOLOL I was looking at the map of scotts valley to find lockhart gulch rd and i realized that that is the same place i go too as well. I dont find a lot of teeth 20 the most for me. Last time i went i only found 12. A meager amount that is. I WANT TO FIND A MEG SOOOO FRICKING BADLY!!! But it is terribly hard. I dig there and it wuld mean a lot to me if u guys could tell me what is the tip to finding a C. Megalodon? I dig for 4-5 hrs and find nothing that truly makes me wanna jump up in the air. HELP ASAP!!!!!!

Yeah, those sites aren't very productive, but when you find something decent, it keeps you going back. I've seen some nice makos come out of Lockhart Gulch and Bean Creek.

About twenty years ago, I tagged along with a friend, a high school science teacher, and his class on a field trip and a kid find a small meg posterior. The serrations were worn down but the tooth was otherwise complete. I wanted the tooth and the kid didn't really want it because it was so small. My friend told me he would take a bigger meg from somewhere else in trade. I made that deal.

I don't have to tell you megs are rare in that formation. You have to screen a lot of sand to get one. In the meantime you might find something else unusual.

LOLOL I was looking at the map of scotts valley to find lockhart gulch rd and i realized that that is the same place i go too as well. I dont find a lot of teeth 20 the most for me. Last time i went i only found 12. A meager amount that is. I WANT TO FIND A MEG SOOOO FRICKING BADLY!!! But it is terribly hard. I dig there and it wuld mean a lot to me if u guys could tell me what is the tip to finding a C. Megalodon? I dig for 4-5 hrs and find nothing that truly makes me wanna jump up in the air. HELP ASAP!!!!!!

With a tooth that worn, it could be a couple of different things but... I'm gonna <kinda> mirror the comment Auspex made: If I were in the Peace River, I'd think it's a Meg.

and btw i tried soaking it in vinegar but sum of the sand dollars arent as white as others. some r the same color as the sand :'(

Soaking the sand dollars in vinegar might be a bad idea, as they are already fragile, and soluble even in weak acid. I once cleaned up a nice plate of Astrodapsis from that locality by carefully scraping the sand off. You might try a wire brush.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if Capitola Beach has any shark teeth? I saw a person on utube hunting for sharks teeth near Santa Cruz on a beach. Tho that beach isn't very productive he told me, he said that that beach has a lot GW and cow sharks teeth. Sadly he nvr told me the name of the beach. :'( Anyone have an idea on wut beach that may be?

Great stuff. I liked that Lockhart Gulch site. The teeth were usually heavily worn but there was always a chance at finding something really nice. One of the fossil dealers in Tucson liked the naturally-polished bone pieces and used them in her jewelry.

I have a specimen like those in the second photo and was told years ago that it was a piece of a grinding tooth of a sheephead fish, Pimelometopon. I'm interested in seeing if there is confirmation or other opinions.

I always called these Semicossyphus. God, I miss those sites in Santa Cruz....

Does anyone know if Capitola Beach has any shark teeth? I saw a person on utube hunting for sharks teeth near Santa Cruz on a beach. Tho that beach isn't very productive he told me, he said that that beach has a lot GW and cow sharks teeth. Sadly he nvr told me the name of the beach. :'( Anyone have an idea on wut beach that may be?

I found a perfect Carcharodon carcharias tooth there once in ~1990.

Edited by Carl

I lived on Lockhart Gulch 'till I was 5, then moved to Bean Creek Rd. 46 years ago and started collecting there beginning in 1968, so I can say with some confidence that these sites, and the Geyer Rd. site, now mostly protected sandhill habitat, have been depleted, built on, garbage-dumped on, shot up, and doughnutted into pretty much a dribble from what they used to be. I have a few dozen or so Megs from these 3 sites and the diversity of other verts and inverts (including some nice rare crabs) will be sorely missed. There's no science or art to finding what you want; just have to take what you get... The best way to prep the spats from the Santa Margarita here like Boess says is with a dissecting scope, needle, brush and patience to remove individual grains; just doesn't get any better or prettier than that 'cause they've been through the diagenesis mill...

• 4 weeks later...

well i finally found a decent sized meg tooth!!! i jumped up and down like a little kid and ran around screaming my head off. :) it felt so great to find one at last.

check out my vid and tell me wut u think of the big tooth. my dad still thinks it is a mako -____- it has a rlly wide blade but the other half is missing.

if the link doesn't wrk then check out my youtube channel called "t2480b" or search up meg day.

Yeah, I think it's a meg too. Makos generally don't get that wide relative to their length. Even a partial meg is valuable if you've ever dug around Scotts Valley.

here is a better and more up close on the meg.