Scott's Valley Meg?

jsw

I found this tooth on a recent trip to Scott's Valley and was wondering if it could possibly be a Megalodon tooth. I'i from the Santa Margarita sandstone. It's pretty water worn but it's the biggest tooth I've found so far. At first I was thinking it was a large mako tooth, but I'm new to this so I'm not really sure. Any info you could give me would be much appreciated. Thanks.

- Josh

post-2069-063841100 1280019227_thumb.jpg

post-2069-062883200 1280019248_thumb.jpg

- Josh

It has "the look"; heavy-bodied, with the hint of a ghost of a bourlette.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It's tough to say when a tooth is that worn and incomplete. The root looks like it's too high relative to the overall height to be a mako so I would lean towards megalodon without swearing to it.

I used to collect at the Lockhart Gulch road site now occupied by storage lockers. I still don't understand why the town let that happen when storage lockers can be built anywhere.

I found this tooth on a recent trip to Scott's Valley and was wondering if it could possibly be a Megalodon tooth. I'i from the Santa Margarita sandstone. It's pretty water worn but it's the biggest tooth I've found so far. At first I was thinking it was a large mako tooth, but I'm new to this so I'm not really sure. Any info you could give me would be much appreciated. Thanks.

- Josh

Yeah, I see a vague bourlette in there too but it could be just color shading and wishful thinking.

It has "the look"; heavy-bodied, with the hint of a ghost of a bourlette.

Thanks for the replies. I didn't know if it would be too worn down to be able to ID or not. I was just excited to find it as it is by far the biggest tooth I've found.

While you can't collect form the original site off of Lockhart Gulch Rd., you can collect from a site just beside it. That's where this tooth came from. Thanks again.

- Josh

- Josh

Yeah, it could be; I've found a few waterworn partial C. megalodon teeth at that locality (when I was in high school). Bobby

Archived