Tooth?

Monkeyfuss

Found in eastern NC. Anyone?

post-2105-037446300 1280138017_thumb.jpg

"You should know by the kindness of a dog the way a human should be"-Don Van Vliet

walrus? :o :o :o

....I think so; is the only animal I can situated in the states (apart of the sperm whale) that have that incisives!

Well, another one that I can think of, is an Entelodont; but this animals were not marine mammals...

Cool find!

I don't see walrus here. It has a wear pattern almost like a boar tusk or even a giant beaver/ rodent tooth. What age are the deposits it was found in?

Found in what is historically a pliocene yorktown formation. However I have found horse, bison and mastodon teeth around the same area. None of which were dug but rather laying on sandbars or shallow runs. Here's a view from the base if it helps anymore to give the difinitive ID.

post-2105-027975200 1280191214_thumb.jpg

"You should know by the kindness of a dog the way a human should be"-Don Van Vliet

Yet another view...

post-2105-041222300 1280191277_thumb.jpg

Whatever it is, it's delaminating like a walrus tusk.

Is that really a wear facet on the distal end, or is it merely a shear face?

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."

- Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)

Edited by Harry Pristis

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Harry, the distal end is pretty abrasive like it's was wearing against an opposing tooth/tusk. ?????

I don't see walrus here. It has a wear pattern almost like a boar tusk or even a giant beaver/ rodent tooth. What age are the deposits it was found in?

mmmm.... giant beaver? you could be right :):unsure:

My Florida Walrus tusk... found in a shell dump around Ruskin :o

post-1112-082909800 1280229132_thumb.jpg

post-1112-075888600 1280229151_thumb.jpg

post-1112-077919900 1280229174_thumb.jpg

post-1112-000130500 1280229199_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fossili Veraci

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

Harry, the distal end is pretty abrasive like it's was wearing against an opposing tooth/tusk. ?????

What do you mean by "pretty abrasive"?

A wear facet, tooth-on-tooth, in life is smooth, not abrasive.

It does not appear to be a giant beaver incisor, not even close.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

What do you mean by "pretty abrasive"?

A wear facet, tooth-on-tooth, in life is smooth, not abrasive.

OK, to clarify; I believe the distal end to be a wear facet once reasearching the term. Not hip to the lingo here yet. Thanks! Just can't seem to find anything on the web that seems a definintive match.

BTW: Harry, I really appreciated reading your tips somewhere on this forom about mixing Duco and acetone to preserve fossils. Good stuff.

Could it be a Ground Sloth (Glossotherium) canine sure looks like one ? B)B)B):)

It's my bone!!!

To see a picture go to PaleoDiscoveries.com and go to their fossil photo gallery and look under sloth. B)B)B):)

It's my bone!!!

Could it be a Ground Sloth (Glossotherium) canine sure looks like one ? B)B)B):)

Sloth was also my first guess after seeing the pictures in this thread. It's just massive!

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

Ground Sloth? Didn`t migrate from the South at the Pliocene interchange? Perhaps I am saying a stupid question, but I`m not an expert on this...

Ground Sloth? Didn`t migrate from the South at the Pliocene interchange? Perhaps I am saying a stupid question, but I`m not an expert on this...

It did, but there are also Plio-Pleistocene fossils occasionally found mixed in the rivers and creeks of South Carolina.

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

I don't think it's a sloth tooth, certainly not a Glossotherium canine.

It's certainly not Paramylodon (previously Glossotherium). It more closely resembles Megalonyx, see attachment. However, I'm not sold on it being sloth.

post-151-000308900 1280343218_thumb.jpg

post-151-040336400 1280343233_thumb.jpg

I agree, just trying to give examples of teeth with wear facets.

Bump. Just putting it back out there...REALLY would like to know what the heck it is. Thanks!

It looks like a walrus tusk with an unusual wear facet. If the center of the wear facet has a different consistency than the exterior of the tooth it would be a good indication that it is walrus. The only other thing I can think of is that it a giant malformed sperm whale tooth, but it is easily three times larger than the largest whale tooth I have found in that area and the wear facet doesn't look like any I have seen on a modern or fossil sperm whale tooth.