Mosasaur Vertebrae From Arkansas

LanceH

Back in May 23rd Me and Roz found some associated mosasaur vertebrae. The age of the strata where it was found is Campanian (70-83 mya) I believe. Does anyone know exactly which genus these come from?

The first two pics are the three verts. I'm not sure if they are in correct order but they fit well. Note the left vert also has a deep tooth gauge on the bottom. :P

The next two pics are closeups of the left vert. The left vert has a large vessel/nerve hole on the bottom in the middle (unless it's a tooth jab). The middle vert there are two tiny vessel/nerve holes 7mm apart on the bottom. The right vert has the vessel/nerve holes 23 mm apart. Hopefully this info will help with the ID.

post-11-038061800 1280188563_thumb.jpg post-11-059774700 1280188587_thumb.jpg post-11-009992900 1280188619_thumb.jpg post-11-033401900 1280188627_thumb.jpg

Edited by LanceHall

Great find!

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Dang dude you two had a killer trip...you make a very successful team.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Nice finds y'all, It's good to see mosasaur verts articulated for future reference..

Ok, posted to Mike Everhart's forum. I will update when I get some replies.

I'm favoring Plioplatecarpus based on the oval shape of the vertebrae....

Mike

Edited by LanceHall
  • I found this Informative 1