Tooth Of Some Mammal? Any Ideas?

fossiljunkie

i was going through some of the fossils i found this past year that i was unsure of, and this one is a mystery to me. it seems tooth like.mammal? can't find it in any books i have. the item seems to have a gray coloration sandwiched between its 2 black outer surfaces running throughout the specimen but it goes all the way through to each edge except the more bulbous thicker end. if you look straight down when turned vertically/horizontally you see the grey layer in the middle from each angle. it is worn so it might have had minute serrations along the edges. i see remnants of either serrations or some type of wrinkles on the edges. it measures 1" tall x 1/2" wide x 1/4" top edge to 3/8" bottom edge thickness. any thoughts guys? here are multiple photos.

post-3598-020288800 1280251878_thumb.jpg

post-3598-036434200 1280251907_thumb.jpg

post-3598-035087200 1280251931_thumb.jpg

post-3598-094414100 1280252027_thumb.jpg

post-3598-040257500 1280252053_thumb.jpg

Today's the day!

Mel Fisher

looks like a broken fragment of enamel and cementum without enough original shape remaining to really state what it is.

looks like a broken fragment of enamel and cementum without enough original shape remaining to really state what it is.

I agree with Tracer...the bit looks very sea?river? worn to know from what does it belong...Sorry!

You can put it in the "mammal-sorta-thing" box... ;):D

tracer,

i did have the thought in the back of my mind that while it was looking like it might be an individual specimen, that it may just be a fragment of a larger specimen that sort of resembled something that might be intact. i'll keep it in the i don't know pile unless anyone else has some idea what it might be a fragment of.

Today's the day!

Mel Fisher

Archived