St Clair Fern Fossils

I have read that there is still a site near St Clair that produces ferns. I have looked online and have been able to find some directions to sites. I have heard various things such as they are closed to collecting or that they are patrolled by security guards.

It is a roughly five and a half hour drive to St Clair from where I live so I would hate to waste the gas and time if the site was closed or I got kicked off the property.

If anyone can give some specific directions to the site and/or clarigy if it is still allowed to be collected at, I would greatly appreciate it.

Hi Seldom,

Thank you for your help, but unfortunately the thread didn't give any directions to the sites it mentioned.

If anyone else can offer some advice or directions to fern sites in St Clair I would very much appreciate it.

Fossildude19

Baybay,

Will PM Directions!

Good luck!

Regards,

• 10 months later...
squalicorax

I'm planning a paleontology club field trip with my school University of Wisconsin Milwaukee in the spring and would also like directions to this famous site.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Fossildude19

I'm planning a paleontology club field trip with my school University of Wisconsin Milwaukee in the spring and would also like directions to this famous site.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

PM sent. :)

Regards,

• 2 weeks later...
fossil nerd

I'd like to jump on this thread if I may. I've been to this site before and never managed to track down the actual fossil sites. Can I get a pm? ;-)

Fossildude19

I'd like to jump on this thread if I may. I've been to this site before and never managed to track down the actual fossil sites. Can I get a pm? ;-)

PM Sent! ;)

Regards,

Fossildude19

Thanks Fossildude!

You're Welcome! :)

Good luck to you.

Make sure to report back with pics of your finds! ;)

Regards,

Never been in Pennsylvania looking for fossils... those ferns are whetting my appetite. Dude, please send me the location tips, so I will plan my trip for the next Spring ;)

Thanks in advance

Nando

Fossildude19

Never been in Pennsylvania looking for fossils... those ferns are whetting my appetite. Dude, please send me the location tips, so I will plan my trip for the next Spring ;)

Thanks in advance

Nando

PM sent! ;) Enjoy!

My best regards to you, Nando!

could you send me a pm too? Im not planning on going there but I like getting PM's :D :D :D:P :P

Fossildude19

could you send me a pm too? Im not planning on going there but I like getting PM's :D :D :D:P :P

:rofl:

Hi all I'm new to the site and have done some researching ST Clair and would like to take my girlfriends son on his first hunt. From all the photos I have seen everyone starts at the trail with the post and rock if someone would could let me know how to get there it would be greatly appreciated

I have heard that the owner of St Clair was charging people to enter there. It was mentioned at a DVPS (Delaware Valley Paleontological Society) meeting. I believe they were not 100% sure but it sounded like it was a $100 fee (or something like that) and that you would get access to the site for 1 year. Maybe someone out there can clear this up?

I have heard that the owner of St Clair was charging people to enter there. It was mentioned at a DVPS (Delaware Valley Paleontological Society) meeting. I believe they were not 100% sure but it sounded like it was a $100 fee (or something like that) and that you would get access to the site for 1 year. Maybe someone out there can clear this up?

Edit: As of 7/7/13 I have heard that St Clair is opon to the public and there is no fee to enter.

Edited by Just Bob
  • 2 weeks later...
FossilForKids

I would pay $100 for a weekend dig!

FFK

FossilForKids

He only charges people from New Jersey!!! :lol:

the site at St Clair is now owned by Reading Anthracite. for $100 a year, you can get a permit from them to hunt on any of their properties. they really dont mind you hunting at St Clair, as long as you dont destroy it.

I may just do that if I can get into ANY of their properties. Phil, PM me with the info if you have it.

the site at St Clair is now owned by Reading Anthracite. for $100 a year, you can get a permit from them to hunt on any of their properties. they really dont mind you hunting at St Clair, as long as you dont destroy it.

That sounds about right Phil.

• 5 months later...

Reading Anthracite doesn't own the actual land where people dig, but you are on their property walking in, moreso if you drive in...at least that's what a R.A. employee that was poking around for a couple fossils told me. He said the actual landowners(will not post their name online/publicly) "tolerate" collecting. I'm sure there's a way to find out for sure w/gps coordinates, etc, but I've collected there for 30+years and never once had a problem(knocks on wood lol)

Edited by Shawn71
  • 2 months later...
richardfulton

Sadly I'm old enough to remember when you climbed on top of the mounds of fossil ferns and just took the high grades and didn't have to dig down to find them!...

• 1 month later...

I was recently at Swatara State Park digging on the hill there at Suedeberg, and a Park Ranger stopped and we were talking for a whiel about fossils and stuff. He was telling me when he was assigned to Hawk Mountain he always saw an older gentleman there near the parking area and was talking to him about fossils and the older guy said that there were fern fossils like at St. Clair right there at Hawk Mountain. The ranger left his vehicle and went walking around checking things and an hour later went back to his vehicle there was a very nice fern specimen waiting for him. The older guy was nowhere in sight. The ranger would see the older guy from time to time with the fern fossils tht he would leave there for other people to take home with them. The ranger said he asked the guy how close was the area that these fern fossils were coming from and the old guy just said right near there. The ranger said he would walk along the trail looking for a possible site but he never found anything. Interesting story.

I like going to Swatara during the week and there is nobody around. Nice and peaceful.

• 11 months later...
snakebite6769

where is this place? I am in Pottstown PA for like the next 4 weeks, and would like to go collect a few ferns, any help is appreciated.