St Clair Fern Fossils

Fossildude19

where is this place? I am in Pottstown PA for like the next 4 weeks, and would like to go collect a few ferns, any help is appreciated.

Swatara State Park and St. Clair Fern site are both about 1 hour 20 minutes away from Pottstown.

I can help you with directions to St. Clair if you need them.

PM me. :)

Regards,

EDIT: PM SENT. ;)

Edited by Fossildude19
PA Fossil Finder

Where is this Swatara State park? I've heard about it before.

• 2 weeks later...

Been there twice in the last couple of weeks. Saw a couple of other people there as well,. No signs saying keep out or anything like that. Lots of dirt bike and 4 wheeler trails in the area so not sure what's up with the rumors about not being able to go there or security etc. To get there, take 61 north to St Clair. Turn right on Hancock street. Hancock street turns into Burma Road. Go 2.8 miles up the mountain once you turn right on Hancock. You'll pass an area where the locals have a shooting area and right past that (@ 2.8 miles) you'll see a pull off on the right. Pull over and walk the road into the woods. You'll come to a T but keep going straight instead of turning left. Continue straight and you'll come to a Y. Bear to the left at the Y and you'll come out in the clearing. From there you can look all over and find them everywhere. It's not a very long walk into the woods and it's worth it. .

• 2 weeks later...
jstephanie396

Bill, that's a detailed direction guide for anyone want to go there. nice contribution!

• 1 month later...
teamustbesweet

Been there twice in the last couple of weeks. Saw a couple of other people there as well,. No signs saying keep out or anything like that. Lots of dirt bike and 4 wheeler trails in the area so not sure what's up with the rumors about not being able to go there or security etc. To get there, take 61 north to St Clair. Turn right on Hancock street. Hancock street turns into Burma Road. Go 2.8 miles up the mountain once you turn right on Hancock. You'll pass an area where the locals have a shooting area and right past that (<AT> 2.8 miles) you'll see a pull off on the right. Pull over and walk the road into the woods. You'll come to a T but keep going straight instead of turning left. Continue straight and you'll come to a Y. Bear to the left at the Y and you'll come out in the clearing. From there you can look all over and find them everywhere. It's not a very long walk into the woods and it's worth it. .

Thank you so much! I think we will head up there tomorrow. My kids are going to freak out. We have yet to find anything in the short time we have been hunting. It's an hour or so from us, so just right. We also have on our list to go to swatara. I have heard some people find lots and others nothing, so we'll see how things go. Thanks again!!

• 1 month later...

Baybay,

Will PM Directions!

Good luck!

Regards,

Tim,

Not sure if this thread is still open but we are heading from Penn-Dixie quarry (found some great Greenops) back home (NC) and will be passing near St. Clair. Wanted to check it out. Any chance you can send me directions? Happy to supply a cell phone number if needed. Thanks!

Regards, Ed

Tim,

Not sure if this thread is still open but we are heading from Penn-Dixie quarry (found some great Greenops) back home (NC) and will be passing near St. Clair. Wanted to check it out. Any chance you can send me directions? Happy to supply a cell phone number if needed. Thanks!

Regards, Ed

Welcome to the Forum, Ed. I am not Tim but I did send you a message with directions (look at the top of this page, near your profile). I'm glad you had success at Penn-Dixie, and I look forward to seeing some photos when you get home. The St. Clair site is terrific, but it's going to be awfully hot in July.

Mike

• 2 years later...
Fossildude19

Sadly, this site is now closed to fossil collecting, except by special permission from Reading Anthracite.

See This Thread.
Apparently, they are only allowing school groups in to collect at this time.

Regards,