Fossil Fish Needs A Name :)

Nandomas

Frank Menser,... paging Frank Menser,... or Oilshale!!! We need an ID on isle 4!!

(I've always been partial to the name "Slagathor".:P:D;) )

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

:P:D:)

The fish is 80 cm. in lenght :o

Upps - 80cm?

Ok, seems to come from the Lower Cretaceous (Santana Formation) of Ceara, Brazil. My first guess was a Tharrias araripes or a Rhacolepis buccalis. But I have never seen these two species with that size!

Second guess is Notelops brama or Paraelops cearensis http://www.thefossil...lops-cearensis/ .

Frank, what do you think?

Thomas

PS: Nice birthday gift!

Edited by oilshale

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Upps - 80cm?

Ok, seems to come from the Lower Cretaceous (Santana Formation) of Ceara, Brazil. My first guess was a Tharrias araripes or a Rhacolepis buccalis. But I have never seen these two species with that size!

Second guess is Notelops brama or Paraelops cearensis http://www.thefossil...lops-cearensis/ .

Frank, what do you think?

Thomas

PS: Nice birthday gift!

I am sorry, Thomas. I was wrong :blush: . The fish is 37 centimeters long.

Thanks for your answer

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

I am sorry, Thomas. I was wrong . The fish is 37 centimeters long.

Thanks for your answer

Almost glad to hear - I was already choking and green with envy :blush:

This is within the size range of Tharrias araripes. But I am not sure - would need to see better photos.

Thomas

PS: My birthday is in September. Nobody out there who wants to send me such a birthday present? rolleyes.gif

Edited by oilshale

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

PS: My birthday is in September. Nobody out there who wants to send me such a birthday present?

If I had anything that would actually improve your collection (instead of dragging it down), I'd do it just for the bragging rights!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Ok ... looking at this I have to admit I am troubled by what appears to be disproportionate length of the caudal peduncle. It is obvious, the fish suffered from damage due to decomp before it fossilised (a very common occurance that is often remarkably visable in Santana fish). Perhaps that would explain the very compressed look.

I would have to go with Thiarrhas araripis on this one. here is an example:

post-1313-074951000 1280433339_thumb.jpg

John G. Maisey (author of SANTANA FISH)is a very friendly and helpful guy. I lost the link to him so if anyone has it you should send the photos to him.

Be true to the reality you create.

This is the best photos she can do. I hope they can help :D

Really hard to see any details. Tharrias araripes is still my best guess.

Thomas

:) I second the motion Oilshale I have one I bought at a fossil show years ago and sat here for a while comparing the two,a complete match.As far as a name for the fish .What about Fred? :D

Bear-dog.

:) I second the motion Oilshale I have one I bought at a fossil show years ago and sat here for a while comparing the two,a complete match.As far as a name for the fish .What about Fred? :D

I was thinking Mr. Squibles is a good name for a fish..or a hamster. :D