Fossil Hunting In The Catskills

Umbro

I'll be taking a trip up there early august and Im gonna post my finds. I've heard about Gilboa area So I might have a look there. The camp resort I stay at in Rondout valley has lots of fossils. Anyone know of anyother sites in this area?

-Jon

Hello Umbro,

Just got back from Gilboa. Found some cool things in Scoharie Creek.:D

http://www.thefossil...reek-gilboa-ny/

The whole place there is fossiliferous, so - if you check at the Nickerson Park Campground - they MAY let you access the creek there, and fossil hunt - check in at the office. :)

Their Website:

http://www.nickerson...campground.com/

I'd call and ask if you can park there and fossil hunt.

Also - check this website:

http://bingweb.bingh...sGeographic.htm

and this fossil collecting site in particular - in Scoharie :

http://bingweb.bingh...e/Schoharie.htm

Spent about 4 hours there - (Trip Report to follow soon!) and found many brachiopods.:)

The site is about 30 minutes north of the campground (Gilboa). Pleasant ride up there - if you need further info - please PM me.

Good luck, and Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19
  • I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I'll be taking a trip up there early august and Im gonna post my finds. I've heard about Gilboa area So I might have a look there. The camp resort I stay at in Rondout valley has lots of fossils. Anyone know of anyother sites in this area?

-Jon

In that part of the Catskills there are very thick sections of Middle to Upper Devonian strata without any fossils and then you hit a few layers that might be packed with marine invertebrates. And since it was deltaic there can be concentrations of plant fossils as in what's found at Gilboa. I once found one of those big stumps out in the Rondout reservoir when it was really low and before 9/11 and high security.

In close to where you will be staying I would just start hitting road cuts and stream beds until you find stuff. If you go up to Gilboa then shoot a bit further up the valley to that site at Schoharie for Lower Devonian fossils.

And if it is as hot as they say out east now then look up and find the Blue Hole for some ice cold (full body brain freeze) swimming. The water is so clear you can see the trout 20 feet down!

thanks guys! Yeah I've got a small outcrop of rock near my campground. The place is littered with limestone filled with fossils. There is some shale along rondout creek. I'm looking foward to going up to gilboa to search for plant fossils. There are numerous outcrops along the side of route 209 going all the way to kingston. I've got my camcorder and camera ready so I'll be posting videos up on youtube.

Ill be posting some photos soon, Im on a sprint wireless card up here in the campground. I think the group of shales and limstones im looking at are from the hamilton group. I've been finding dark to light gray shale and mudstone up here.

• 6 months later...

post-3475-0-53127900-1299018714_thumb.jpgpost-3475-0-19896100-1299018719_thumb.jpgI realized i hadnt updated this with photos. So I figure I'll add a few , I have plenty from my trip and plan on going back in april and may

For some reason the upload button is not working with firefox browsers.

Some more area shots of scholarie creek. I plan on camping there this time.

Notice the water wave markings in the second photo.

I also noted the plant stem and debry in the rocks around the area.post-3475-0-52410800-1299018893_thumb.jpgpost-3475-0-86173700-1299018897_thumb.jpg

Pretty place; I'd love to camp there!

Did you get to the Gilboa area?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Couple of more photos coming..

these two photos are of a large sized 25 lb rock with what appears to be a plant stem of some sort found in rondout creek near rt 209 accord ny.

I'm not sure what kind of sedimentary rock it is...

post-3475-0-50260000-1299022643_thumb.jpg

post-3475-0-83380500-1299022647_thumb.jpg

Yes i did get to the gilboa area. but i could not find any place other than schorlaie creek to hunt for fossils.

heres two things i noticed while hunting north of the dam area near a camp ground area.

Im not sure what that fossil is.

post-3475-0-41194500-1299022872_thumb.jpg

post-3475-0-62785400-1299022875_thumb.jpg

I have about 5 or more photos..

These are so more shorts of scholarie creek and the bedrock therein.

post-3475-0-44862200-1299023105_thumb.jpg

post-3475-0-40350400-1299023113_thumb.jpg

next up are some fossilsi happen to find right near my camping area in rondout creek ..

the single rock is one that I had happen to hit randomly and what was inside astounded me..

post-3475-0-65651700-1299023350_thumb.jpg

post-3475-0-84716800-1299023355_thumb.jpg

I split the rock open and I found a unique kind of brachiopod.

The other photo is some random fossil i found near a stop going to west hurley from kingston. i think the road was rt 32.

post-3475-0-11090500-1299023459_thumb.jpg

post-3475-0-92772900-1299023462_thumb.jpg

...these two photos are of a large sized 25 lb rock with what appears to be a plant stem of some sort...

This could be a plant stem cast, but it looks more like a filled burrow to me.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

This could be a plant stem cast, but it looks more like a filled burrow to me.

This is true. Im not sure what it is. i found it in a creek full of conglomerates and mud stones.

Hey Jon -

Thanks for updating the post - good to see you found some stuff. :)

Looks like the brachiopods are spiriferid brachiopods! Reply #13, pic 2 in the upper left looks like possibly Mucrospirifer mucronatus. Spirifers are tricky though. Also kind of resembles Spirifer sowerbyi. Have to have Shamalama or Fossildawg take a look and let us know for sure.

Scoharie creek is a pretty and productive site. Congratulations on your finds!

I also like all the trace fossils and burrow/stem cast - that area is famous for Devonian plants.

Thanks again for sharing!

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Man I miss the Catskills! Those deep dark forests and cool mountain streams. The long-winged spirifer is Mucrospirifer mucronatus, and there is a fair amount of intraspecific variation for that species. But they are common in those rocks. There is a small exposure along a road at a place called Dormansville where we (NYPS Field Trips) used to collect large slabs covered in those white on rust M. mucronatus specimens. It was one of those sites that looked like nothing but junk, but when you got out of the car and started poking around...! Lots of other neat stuff too.

Schoharie Creek always confused me because of the way it starts way up high in the Catskill's upper most mountains pretty darn close to the Hudson River but then heads west and then north and eventually makes it's way to the Mohawk Valley and river. It takes the long way to the sea.

Edited by erose

Thanks guys, I've been looking for spots in the catskills to hunt for. I'm also scouting north of where i live in putnam county for fossils. i've heard reports of fossils being found in dutchess county near poughkeepsie. I may investigate when the ground thaws a little. I'll keep updating this thread with my finds.

• 4 months later...

I have been told that their are coral reef fossils in the catskill creek in catskill NY. I have had no luck finding any just mud and clay. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to look on the creek?

• 1 month later...

I have been told that their are coral reef fossils in the catskill creek in catskill NY. I have had no luck finding any just mud and clay. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to look on the creek?

hey sophie. I've heard the same for the catskill creek too from people who have grown up in that area. I'm thinking about taking a trip up there myself.