North Sulfur River Ids

treasured pasts

I'm a rank amateur at identifying fossils and need some help with yesterdays finds including what to look for to help ID. Any help is appreciated.

post-3773-025571600 1280688577_thumb.jpgI think this is a straight Ammonite or maybe a bone fragment

post-3773-087172500 1280688590_thumb.jpgThese are various interesting shaped finds. The red one on the bottom has interesting patterns and appears to have some shell attached like a conglomerate.

post-3773-059154400 1280688605_thumb.jpgGiant Clam? - Nice curl on it.

post-3773-011392900 1280688614_thumb.jpg Appears to be half a vertabrae from maybe a fish. Both sides are flat. Concave on one flat side.

post-3773-031851100 1280688628_thumb.jpg Lots of oyster shells etc. I can take closeups if anything looks interesting.

Man was it HOT out there!!!

Number 1 may be a baculite section and # 3 looks lime an exogyra ponderosa? Oyster

In the last picture is a "tooth shaped item. It isn't a tooth but maybe part of an ammonite. It is covered with those oak leaf type designs.post-3773-062542200 1280695405_thumb.jpg

In the last picture is a "tooth shaped item. It isn't a tooth but maybe part of an ammonite. It is covered with those oak leaf type designs.post-3773-062542200 1280695405_thumb.jpg

may be a fragment from a pachydiscus paulsoni ammonite. the pattern is called a "suture" pattern.

I kinda' like "oak leaf design" :); very descriptive.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I kinda' like "oak leaf design" :); very descriptive.

Flowery descriptions are so much fun!:)

It did draw the right picture anyway. I work in medicine. You'd have thought suture would have come to mind.

Edited by treasured pasts

i believe the suture patterns are where the original aragonite of the shell joined together in sections as it formed. the patterns generally speaking got more complex as time passed and are used both to help id particular ammonites, but also to differentiate between ammonites and the earlier, similar critters. i like finding ammonites with those patterns showing, and sometimes you find them with sections laterally shifted along those junctures and it's like a set of little raised, ornate "steps" on the side of the fossil...