Humerus?

uncoat

I picked this up on the Oregon coast and it looks like part of a humerus of something but it does not look like its from a whale, seal, sea lion. Which would be my first guess. I believe its Miocene. Any one have any ideas? Thanks.

hummerous003.jpg

hummerous002.jpg

hummerous001.jpg

hummerus003.jpg

hummerus002.jpg

hummerus001.jpg

:) Humerus?No butstill quite funny.O.k sorry for the weak joke.There isen't really enough to properly i.d it.Maybe someone else will step up and give it a try. :D

Sorry the more I look at it the more it looks like a rock to me.Maybe clean it up more and add more pic's.

Edited by bear-dog

Bear-dog.

i see where you're coming from with the humerus thought. hopefully boesse will weigh in on this one with his knowledge of cetaceans and pinnipeds...

Rock

I'm not so sure...

There is a lot of in-filled sediment, and the high points have been worn off, but I think there's something boney going on, and it's a complicated bone.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

In some of the pictures you can definitely see some actual structure going on.

Uncoat, how hard is the rock, and what sort of equipment do you need to use to get the surrounding rock off of this thing?

In some of the pictures you can definitely see some actual structure going on.

Uncoat, how hard is the rock, and what sort of equipment do you need to use to get the surrounding rock off of this thing?

Its hard sandstone like rock. Compacted sand. I'm not really set up to used my air scribe as i am moving shortly. I know my bones pretty well but I'm not as familiar with marine mammals. It is the end of a leg or arm bone of some sort and it looks alot like a humerus. If its not a marine mammal then it could be from a non marine mammal like a deer or Camel as it looks more like a deer humerus then a seal. Anyone out there good with marine fossils?