Small Megs

Shellseeker

I have been picking up a lot of small teeth, many snaggles, some tigers, lemons, sand tigers, and then some that might be megs -- It raises some questions where others may have answers.

Are all the small teeth megs? All have serrations. I have been told that the tooth in 1st photo lower left may be a Bull shark. This type always has a "V" on one lateral or the other.

If they are ALL megs, why the variation? Why the V?, Are the ones on the right from a different jaw position? The 2nd from top left, 1st photo seems to have the Meg Chevron, bit also with a slight V on the left side.

Are there any photo sources or books for identifying small megs OR is there a good information source for what megs look like in different jaw positions?

post-2220-047988800 1280798100_thumb.jpg

post-2220-019252600 1280798115_thumb.jpg

post-2220-073163600 1280798917_thumb.jpg

post-2220-050896200 1280798932_thumb.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Im thinking more along the lines of Carcharhinus leucas or Carcharhinus obscuras.

CBK

Are there any photo sources or books for identifying small megs OR is there a good information source for what megs look like in different jaw positions?

>elasmo.com link<

Click on "GENERA" in the header, scroll down to "NEOGENE", and under "Lamniformes", click on "Carcharocles". For that matter, explore the site! Those narrower daggers look more like C. auriculatus than C. megalodon to me, but they would be from a different period.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Learning, Learning, I am on the trail:

Bull, Followed by Dusky. Yes I can see that I have been finding some Bull Shark teeth... PeaceFossil, look at the one on the left!!!

post-2220-029429400 1280810118_thumb.jpg

post-2220-051986500 1280810127_thumb.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Looks good, no outings for me for awhile! Don't see any megs there.

The root is one of the key identifiers to a meg. Smaller megs still have a fairly large root.