My West Va Trip Part 1

fosceal2

I had great fun in WV! I met with my sisters' sister in law and she showed me a plate with about 15 fossil brittle star fish on it and told me where to go look. Back mountain road near Cass,WV where it runs parallel to the Greenbriar River. You are not allowed to take rocks out of the river but we were looking on the banks where they had cut through to make the road. I looked all day in a lovely not to cold drizzle. It was just me, my niece and the die hard fishermen trying for trout. No luck this time but we did find lots of otherstuff and had fun. Driving back to my sisters I came slowly up the mountain looking at all the washes on the hillsides and lo and behold less tha 20ft from her drive way we found lots of plates of shells that had broke loose over the winter, slid down and where just waiting to be picked up out of the mud. Mostly brachiopods.I brought home less than 100lbs of stuff as I am becoming more selective and I had a very small rental. I also had a new rock hammer and I was able to knock off some extraneous weight before packing. Love my new rock hammer but I have a severe case of tennis elbow ( fossil hunters elbow)!

Best regards, Cecelia

Guest N.AL.hunter

we would sure like to see some pics of the brittle star plate and the other items you found. Sounds like you had a good time.

I had great fun in WV! I met with my sisters' sister in law and she showed me a plate with about 15 fossil brittle star fish on it and told me where to go look. Back mountain road near Cass,WV where it runs parallel to the Greenbriar River. You are not allowed to take rocks out of the river but we were looking on the banks where they had cut through to make the road. I looked all day in a lovely not to cold drizzle. It was just me, my niece and the die hard fishermen trying for trout. No luck this time but we did find lots of otherstuff and had fun. Driving back to my sisters I came slowly up the mountain looking at all the washes on the hillsides and lo and behold less tha 20ft from her drive way we found lots of plates of shells that had broke loose over the winter, slid down and where just waiting to be picked up out of the mud. Mostly brachiopods.I brought home less than 100lbs of stuff as I am becoming more selective and I had a very small rental. I also had a new rock hammer and I was able to knock off some extraneous weight before packing. Love my new rock hammer but I have a severe case of tennis elbow ( fossil hunters elbow)!

Best regards, Cecelia

hey Ceceila,

sounds like you had lots of fun. I've been wanting to go to WV to collect for two years now but never got to actually do it. A little far from me as I am in NY. hopefully one day I'll go, maybe even this year. I'll probably email you asking for site info when i am ready to go - maybe you or your sister can recommend some sites. Have you ever traveled to PA or NY? Lots of sites up here. Hope to see you in our parts some day.

Thanks

Mike