Vacation Ideas

Flagponds Pirate

Alright, heres the story. My family was gonna head to NC for vacation this year, but since I had to work last year and couldnt go on that vacation I get to choose the destination for this summers vacation. I need to know of a place that I can do some new fossil hunting at, but at the same time has stuff the rest of the family will enjoy as well. Throw some ideas at me.

If you can dive, Venice Beach is supposed to be killer, and you can find stuff snorkeling closer to shore if you can't dive.

Guest N.AL.hunter

San Antonio Texas. It has some very good fossils nearby and the family can enjoy the water parks ( the best one in the world is there, Travel Channel pick for at least three years in a row) Also has great area of New Braunfels and the rivers for tubing or whatever. The town of San Antonio itself is really nice too.

If you travel through Missouri, look and see if there is a geologic road map for that interstate. It gives the mile marker, the formation, and what fossils are found there. I know there is one for I-55, and I think for I-44 and I-70.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

If you head to southwest Florida (hmmmm, height of the summer . . .), you might also schedule a fossil hunt with Mark Renz (here's the link). The hunt I went on with him included two dads and their kids -- everybody had a blast.

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.

Jasper Burns, Fossil Dreams

Yeah Mark is a cool guy, and Orlando isn't too far away and there are tons of things to do in Orlando.

NAL

I live in San Antonio and think the area got slighted on fossils compared to the rest of the state. Perhaps that's because I'm a little burned out on local fauna, but it seems to me that more quantity and quality come from the DFW area, certainly when it comes to vert material. If coming to this area though, the Glen Rose formation provides easiest access with a variety of echinoids available after good rains. Other than that bivalve and gastropod molds are the standard fare down here. Crabs, shark teeth, and ammonites are pretty scarce for the most part in comparison.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Well, my sister did want to go to Orlando for spring break, but got slighted on that. That and San Antonio are on the list. No one in my family can dive, and really since I work at a beach, going to a beach doesnt seem like much of a vacation to me. Its like a Kmart employee shopping at Walmart on his day off, or some metaphor like that. I suck at metaphors, give me a break :rolleyes: . Keep the ideas flying.

FP

Shoot me a PM if you indeed plan to come to SA. I can't promise any museum pieces, but I can put limited numbers of people on producing sites continually so long as the sites don't become public knowledge. Some of the formations weather faster than others around here. Again it would be mostly a Glen Rose fm echie gig, with bivalves, oysters, and gastropods from other formations.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Anyone thats gone on Mikes trips I have a few questions. Did the kayak trip yield about on average the same as the other trips? I realise the extra cost is due to the kayaks and Im ok with that, I just want to make sure Ill still be finding stuff. And the "Trip Two" where your primarily looking for megs. How are you primarily looking for megs? Its seems that you have equal chances of finding the meg teeth in all three sites. Does Mark take you to a site with a higher ratio of megs than the other site? I plan on taking two trips so Im just trying to get as much first hand information as possible.

...hope I'm not hijacking your thread FP, but we're headed to SE Mississippi to visit relatives soon. Does anyone have suggestions for a fossil escape? Thanks for any info.

John J.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Guest N.AL.hunter
...hope I'm not hijacking your thread FP, but we're headed to SE Mississippi to visit relatives soon. Does anyone have suggestions for a fossil escape? Thanks for any info.

John J.

All along the Miss/ALA border area is good hunting. Selma chalk good. Around Interstate-20. In Meridian, Miss. Truckstop on Interstate, in the woods on the small hill next to the interstate, park in the truckstop parking lot. Take shoes/boots for walking in the creeks. Can find very nice stuff that way. Look for gravel bars in the creeks and outcrops of oyster shells in the chalk areas.

N. AL thank you very much for the tip. We will be near Hurley, MS; but maybe I can go on a short road trip...I'll let you know.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ