My Bonanza Feathers

Guest N.AL.hunter

Guest N.AL.hunter

Here is the group of bird feathers I collected at the Bonanza site, Utah, that I talked about on the chat last night.

that's awesome! Any idea what kind of bird those are from? I have a single, tiny feather from there.

very nice! you mustve been excited when you popped that rock open!

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

That is the first feather I have ever heard of. It must be really rare!

Awesome fossil and congratulations!

Welcome to the forum!

Guest N.AL.hunter

Feathers can be found at Bonanza fairly often. I have a couple more individual ones, and i've seen several for sale on the net. My specimen is only the second one I've seen, but I am sure there are more out there in collections.

As far as to what type of bird? I have no idea, but the field museum in Vernal Utah has a cluster similar to mine on display. Maybe I should contact them.

I was very excited to find this, and I also think I still have the other side of the split rock, but I might have sold that one years ago. When I unpack everything, I'll know for sure.

Here is the group of bird feathers I collected at the Bonanza site, Utah, that I talked about on the chat last night.

What a Fantastic find !!!!

How did I miss this? I thought for sure it would just be a bunch of leafs, but HOLY COW!!! I click on it to enlarge it and sat back in amazement! That is truly a very cool fossil! Hey N. AL. Hunter, I just happen to have over 2 bucks in change burnin a hole in my pocket. I give it to you and you send old feathers to me. Ha!!! ok, just kidding. Super find fella!

RB

Nice feather duster! Single down or contour feathers are common enough (if such can be said about bird fossils) in the Green River formation, but clusters like this are R-A-R-E; only flight feathers are harder to come by. These look like downy contour feathers, and from their size they are probably from what is referred to as a "plover/sandpiper" ancestor. This is a lineage that had not differentiated much by the middle Eocene. The fact that it is a clump of feathers begs the question as to whether this individual met an untimely end: nonrmal moult or preening will loose the occasional individual feather, never a clump. If you would like to loan it to me for further study, I promise to get it back to you within a hundred years or so...

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest N.AL.hunter

Auspex, thanks for the info. I am hoping to find my matching half when I split this rock. Also, your birds are really beautiful. My wife and I love birds of prey and TRY to photograph them whenever we get the chance. Last year we were privileged to find an albino Red Tailed Hawk, but as soon as we pointed the camera, bam! it flew off. Welcome to the forum.