Can Anybody Give This Fossil A Name?

fossilfinder

Found this fossil inside of a large boulder I spilt open!

Well, the cylindrical bits on the fringes are crinoid stems, but I don't know what that beehive-looking piece is. Maybe it's a kind of coral.

That stone looks like a kind of flint. Do you remember what kind of boulder it came from, and where it's from? :)

wow to me that beehive thing looks like a rather nice crnoid cup/calyx? what does everyone else think?

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Well, the cylindrical bits on the fringes are crinoid stems, but I don't know what that beehive-looking piece is. Maybe it's a kind of coral.

That stone looks like a kind of flint. Do you remember what kind of boulder it came from, and where it's from? :)

This came from n.central ark. The rock is flint or quarts

wow to me that beehive thing looks like a rather nice crnoid cup/calyx? what does everyone else think?
Still waiting on more info from others, jury is still out!

Guest solius symbiosus
Still waiting on more info from others, jury is still out!

It looks like you are in Ordovician rocks. It is a favostella.

Here are some that I picked up recently

DSCN0286.jpg

DSCN0064.jpg

They're out of focus, but you get the ideal.

^Looks like a tabulate to me, maybe Favosites? What period is it from?

I,m in the learning mode on fossils! I'll need to look up these names, Thanks !

It looks like you are in Ordovician rocks. It is a favostella.

Here are some that I picked up recently

DSCN0286.jpg

DSCN0064.jpg

They're out of focus, but you get the ideal.

Take a look at the crinoid calyx posted by Roz, this came from my same fossil bed which my help indicate period they came from, Thanks for the info!

It is a type of tabulate coral.

It strikes me as odd I'm finding ocean life and fossil nut husks in the same bed!

Guest solius symbiosus
It strikes me as odd I'm finding ocean life and fossil nut husks in the same bed!

Your not, post a pic of what your thinking is a fossil nut husk.

Your not, post a pic of what your thinking is a fossil nut husk.
I am unable to post more than 1 photo per day! rest assured I have bivales (clams) and undoubtably NUT HUSK! I have made wax modes of the fossil which clearly show a husk which opened to eject a nut, like an hickory nut! It don't add up to me either, but its so !

Guest solius symbiosus
I am unable to post more than 1 photo per day! rest assured I have bivales (clams) and undoubtably NUT HUSK! I have made wax modes of the fossil which clearly show a husk which opened to eject a nut, like an hickory nut! It don't add up to me either, but its so !

Looks can be quite deceiving ... especially when dealing with fossils.

Looks can be quite deceiving ... especially when dealing with fossils.

Send me an email to where I can send you photos to prove it! Its unquestionable its an nut husk! Ive studied it long and hard!

Send me an email to where I can send you photos to prove it! Its unquestionable its an nut husk! Ive studied it long and hard!
I also have 3 or more nut husk and even fossil nuts that match the husk all coming from the same bed as ocean life!

Why? Haven't you seen plant matter being carried downstream? SOmetimes the current is strong enough to carry it out into the saltchuck. Where did you think all the driftwood came from?

Why? Haven't you seen plant matter being carried downstream? SOmetimes the current is strong enough to carry it out into the saltchuck. Where did you think all the driftwood came from?

Sounds to me like it could fit!

Guest solius symbiosus

Can you post it on a hosting site like photbucket, or send it in a PM.

The angiosperms did not evolve until the Cretaceous ... If you are in Cenozoic rocks, there could be the possibility that a "nut" floated out to sea, sank, and got buried, but to find several ...

Too, from the look of the stuff you posted, the rocks are Paleozoic. I think that I have seen some seed pods from the Paleozoic, but they were found with plant material, not marine stuff.

Whatever it is you have, I would love to see them.

me too im very interested to see it! PM me! i have found bits of wood and leaves in marine sediment before....lots of little bits, poorly preserved but still there in the same beds. I found it as quite a nice suprise when i spotted a small glossopteris leaf next to a clam :)! interesting too as all the other permian beds seem to be either marine or remains of a swamp.....i guess theses came out of a swamp like enviroment through an estuary into the open ocean, very neat indeed.

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Hi,

the specimen in question is an internal cast of a camerate crinoid cup, Class Crinoidea, Subclass Camerata,

it would be very difficult to put a genus name on it because it is a cast with no plate characters for identification,

keep looking you may find some better fossils

Guest solius symbiosus
Hi,

the specimen in question is an internal cast of a camerate crinoid cup, Class Crinoidea, Subclass Camerata,

it would be very difficult to put a genus name on it because it is a cast with no plate characters for identification,

keep looking you may find some better fossils

I think you are right. When I first saw it, I was thinking something like Eucalyptocrinus, but then, I opened it up, and saw the pattern. I guess the sutures fossilized while the plates dissolved.