Markings On Bones.

Mango

What creature was attached to these bones that made these markings? There are more of the same marks on the other sides of the bones. None of the marks seem to overlap. Marking size ranges from 3/4"-1" long x 1/2"-3/4" wide.

Found these digging in SWFL. Bone fragments are the same as I find in the Peace River which I call dugong ribs. These are the first I have found with these markings. Worm bore holes, I have lots of.

Thank you.

post-1351-014387300 1283224023_thumb.jpg

Pentax Optio W60

• 1 month later...

What creature was attached to these bones that made these markings? There are more of the same marks on the other sides of the bones. None of the marks seem to overlap. Marking size ranges from 3/4"-1" long x 1/2"-3/4" wide.

Found these digging in SWFL. Bone fragments are the same as I find in the Peace River which I call dugong ribs. These are the first I have found with these markings. Worm bore holes, I have lots of.

Thank you.

don't look like bones mate more like obsidian when held up to natural light is there a yellow tint?

beck man

don't look like bones mate more like obsidian when held up to natural light is there a yellow tint?

:) No obsidian in Fla.Thats the color of the river fossils there.Tara for now. :D

Edited by bear-dog

Bear-dog.

could some of them possibly be ivory or tooth fragments?

No usually on bone frags.there.Most suggest worm bore holes. :)

Bear-dog.

are you talking about those round indentation things? could something like sea anemones or some other "attaching" critter (limpets, remoras?) exude some sort of enzymaticallyacidificalcifileachitaciousness that would do that as a byproduct of they're hanging around being the benthic equivalent of couch potatoes?

p.s. - i think i took great license in expanding the meaning of the word "benthic", but oh well, my cat gave me permission to. <==he also said i could end that sentence with a proposition, so do you wanna, huh?

whut? :mellow: i'm looking for a partner to help finance my explorations, is all...

wait, snarge, i can't say that here! this isn't the member trades & sales forum! disregard, disregard, hatten down the batches! submerging, NOW!!! <tracer heads for benthic climes at warp factor slicks, mr. auspock.>

post-4008-073410500 1288050964_thumb.jpg

:) No obsidian in Fla.Thats the color of the river fossils there.Tara for now. :D

hello mate avent got cam working yet gona have to get akid to do it fore me but as the pics look at this end they still have the look of cooled obsidien its not meant to be here but ive found quite a lot :) .solong for now cowbooy.:Ppost-4008-049729400 1288050840_thumb.jpgpost-4008-049729400 1288050840_thumb.jpg

post-4008-067282300 1288050959_thumb.jpg

beck man

Sorry, those appear to be phosphate nodules. Those also do not appear to be any sort of markings, borings, or tooth marks - it appears to just be the surficial texture of the nodules. Bobby

Sorry, those appear to be phosphate nodules. Those also do not appear to be any sort of markings, borings, or tooth marks - it appears to just be the surficial texture of the nodules. Bobby

ok, so my next guess of octopus hickeys is pretty much out of the question...

Upon your suggestion, I more closely examined all of the pieces. I don't know what phosphate nodules look like, so I did a quick search for images. Couldn't find anything that resembled these pieces. I am still convinced they are bone.

One of the pieces shows better signs of being bone than the others. There is visible grain on the side, and some porosity at the end. Very much resembles bone fragments that were found next to them.

The markings make me picture a creature like a limpet attached to it. Might have been a lower profile creature, as some of the pieces have the marking on all sides.

post-1351-021485300 1288149861_thumb.jpg

post-1351-085176700 1288149905_thumb.jpg

post-1351-093555700 1288149932_thumb.jpg

Pentax Optio W60

This piece is pyramid shaped with a single mark on all sides of it.

Thanks for the replies and ideas. I had given up on these, and tossed them into my low grade bone/rock box, which is to eventually end up in a rock garden. You have to save a while to have a rock garden in FL.

post-1351-065815200 1288150141_thumb.jpg

Pentax Optio W60

Well ######, you should have posted those pictures first! That's bone alright, except they're all highly abraded phosphatized bone pebbles. You can't see any of that bone texture in the first photograph at all.

Bobby

Well ######, you should have posted those pictures first! That's bone alright, except they're all highly abraded phosphatized bone pebbles. You can't see any of that bone texture in the first photograph at all.

Bobby

Sorry. I did not mean to mislead. This is not the first case of my photos not being worth 1000 words.

So what sucked on these bones before they became phospatized?

Pentax Optio W60

If anything modified the surface of these bones prior to phosphatization, it's been destroyed by now - these bone fragments are totally abraded pebbles by now. Bobby