Whats Your Favorite Sauropod?

Ordovician_Odyssey

i was just watching a show yesterday about sauropods, and wondered what other peoples favorites are...so whats your favorite?

mine is diplodocus or amphicoelias fragillimus

-shamus

-Shamus

The Ordovician enthusiast.

I kinda favor the one Fred Flintstone rode in the quarry--Just kidding Shamus.--Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

• 9 years later...
On 9/9/2010 at 1:09 PM, Ordovician_Odyssey said:

i was just watching a show yesterday about sauropods, and wondered what other peoples favorites are...so whats your favorite?

mine is diplodocus or amphicoelias fragillimus

-shamus

My favorite sauropods are Apatosaurus, Brontosaurus, Argentinosaurus, Diplodocus, Patagotitan, Brachiosaurus, Giraffatitan, and Mamenchisaurus are my favorite sauropods. If you're probably aware, Amphicoelias fragillimus was renamed Maraapunisaurus by Carpenter (2018), who classified it as a rebbachisaurid.* The true Amphicoelias is restricted to the type species A. altus, which is also known from sparse material but is clearly not as a big as Maraapunisaurus.

*Carpenter (2018) retreated from his initial size estimate for Maraapunisaurus and proposed a size estimate of 99-104 feet. This new size estimate is very reasonable, because Diplodocus hallorum (formerly Seismosaurus) was once thought to have been up to 170 feet long, only to have its size estimates reduced to 100-110 feet long.

Carpenter, Kenneth (2018). Maraapunisaurus fragillimus, N.G. (formerly Amphicoelias fragillimus), a basal Rebbachisaurid from the Morrison Formation (Upper Jurassic) of Colorado. Geology of the Intermountain West. 5: 227–244. doi:10.31711/giw.v5i0.28. Archived from the original on 2018-10-22. Retrieved 2018-10-22.