Paleo Ecology

ashcraft

The SEMO Fossil Club will be hosting an "Ecological History Day" on June 21st, in Cape Girardeau, MO., free to the public. We have two excellent guest speakers:

Matt Forir- will be speaking on the Riverbluff Cave from Springfield , MO. Matt is the Green County Naturalist, and Professor of Speology at Drury University. The Riverbluff Cave is a large cave that was covered by a landslide sometime around the end of the pleistocene. It was uncovered by road excavators around 2000. It is a treasure trove of pleistocene material, with tracks, dung, and claw marks throughout the cavern.

Mike Fix will be speaking on the Chronister dinosaur site, loated in the Cape Girardeau area, near Marble Hill. Matt is a Teaching Professor of Geology at Washington University, and the Project Geologist for the Missouri Dinosaur project. The Chronister site is a graben, with the only confirmed remains of dinosaurs in Missouri. The site is now owned by Dr. Bruce Stincomb, the guru of Missouri paleontologists, and is being worked by Mike, and Guy Darrow, and others, to recover the remains.

You can access a flyer (flier?) at this website for directions and speaking times.

http://www.lakeneosho.org/Temp9.html

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Guest N.AL.hunter

I remember when the Riverbluff Cave was discovered. Have really heard nothing down here since. Sure wish I could make it there. What a find something like that would be. Thanks for this info.

I made an error in the flyer. Mike Fix teaches at the University of Missouri in St. Louis (UMSL), the flyer has been corrected. I am sorry for any inconvenience this might have caused.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen